$1501
$2000

REVIEW: Level 99 provides unlimited fun for anyone

Courtesy @golevel99 on Instagram
Level 99 is located on the second floor of the Natick Mall, and is known for its interactive group games and dining options.

Located on the second floor of the Natick Mall, entertainment complex Level 99 has gained quite the reputation over the last couple of years. Known for its unique arcade games and puzzles, Level 99 features over 50 real-world physical and mental challenges and games, as well as dining. To see if Level 99 was worth the hype, I decided to visit the local hotspot for my birthday.

We got there around 8:00 p.m., and it was very busy which was a good sign. After waiting in line for about 10 minutes, we were escorted to an array of touch screens that resembled old-school arcade machines. We then created accounts and were given comical randomly generated names. My alias was “burnt lamp,” my brother was “manageable gnome” and my mom lucked out with “smooth sandwich.” You have the option to change your name and icon, but we figured we’d just stick with the names we got.

After making our way to the free lockers, we started our adventure. Level 99 is set up unlike anything I can compare it to; the best way I can describe it is an arcade full of escape rooms. There are so many different games you can play there, and most of them are inside a big box that is pretty much its own room. There are usually lines of people outside the boxes, so you can look at a screen that tells you what the game is and how to play while you’re waiting in line.

After the group in front of you is finished, the play button will light up and the door to the box will unlock. Each game has a completely different design and concept, and it feels like you are in a different reality every time you step into a box. 

My favorite game was one where you had to listen to cartoon sounds and match them with the words on the wall such as “Bang,” “Zap,” “AHOOGA” and more. It was quite difficult considering all the words were very similar. However, after trial and error my brother and I managed to conquer the beast that was “Cosmic Smash.”

The environment forces socialization, and the games force cooperation, making it the perfect place to have a first date. It would also be very fun to go with someone you are competitive with, or someone you laugh a lot with. I feel like the experience could be different depending on who you are with, so try not to bring anyone that gives off bad vibes.

I was with my family, and we had a great time together. My parents had just as much fun as my brothers and I playing the games, but they got fatigued after about an hour.  Luckily, there was a big bar with drinks and food. It reminded me of a crowded restaurant to see the bar so packed. I had a burger and fries, which sounds basic, but that burger tasted gourmet.

We were there for four hours until midnight, and as it got closer to closing time, the lines got shorter and shorter until there were no lines at all. We played up until the very end, and we still didn’t get a chance to play half the games available. I will definitely be returning to play the other games as well as the ones I played before. Whoever owns Level 99 can expect a steady flow of income for the rest of their days.