When is it officially "shorts" weather?

$1501
$2000

REVIEW: Season six of ‘Love is Blind’ begs the question: is love truly blind?

Courtesy Netflix
Season six of Netflix’s “Love is Blind” reality show was released to stream last February.

In a world full of nearly unattainable beauty standards, the search for genuine love can seem daunting. In the Netflix Original “Love is Blind,” a handful of singles are selected to embark on a unique journey to find their soulmate. Through “pods,” isolated rooms, participants engage only through conversations without seeing each other physically. If a pair is compatible, they progress to a face-to-face relationship after a sight unseen marriage proposal. At the show’s conclusion, the showrunners seek to answer the question, “Is love truly blind?” Or is this just another highly scripted reality show that makes a mockery of relationships and marriage? 

At the start of season six, the show opened with thirty individuals; however, we learn very little about some of them, as the show only followed people that made strong connections. Although I liked seeing different people and learning about their lives, I feel like producers may have had an influence on how long couples lasted, as by the end some conversations felt forced, artificial and extensively edited.

Brittany and Kenneth were a surprising couple that I rooted for due to their strong faith and compatibility in the pods. Despite initial concerns about race differences, they had a great honeymoon and seemed to be one of the strongest couples, yet everything seemed to change once they went back home. Kenneth became absorbed in electronic “screen time,” and they just weren’t connecting to each other on a deeper level anymore. Their breakup seemed mutual, but the exact reason remained unclear. Disappointed by their split, I feel as though the producers cut out crucial aspects of their relationship, which left me uncertain about what went wrong. 

Chelsea has become a target of online criticism due to her insecure and clingy behavior in her relationship with Jimmy. Jimmy is more reserved but from a first impression, he definitely seemed like a good guy who came to this experiment with the right intentions. Their relationship was further complicated as Chelsea was also seeing Trevor, and Jimmy was seeing Jessica, but broke it off with her after deciding Chelsea was the better fit. Chelsea, who was torn until the bitter end, chose Jimmy after his proposal. I had some doubts about their relationship; their initial meeting seemed very awkward, and Jimmy even admitted that Chelsea lied about her looks as she claimed she looked like Megan Fox, which is definitely up to self interpretation. Their relationship was extremely rocky throughout the whole experiment because Chelsea had a constant need for attention from Jimmy. If I were Jimmy I would have left after one of the first arguments, but he seemed to hold on even when their fights became pretty heated. I honestly found this behavior to be very fake, and I am under the impression that he stayed just to uphold a positive reputation on national television. Jimmy decided to end things abruptly before their wedding, leaving Chelsea heartbroken and betrayed. Throughout the entire experiment, their relationship appeared artificial and unsustainable, which made me wonder how they even got along in the first place.

AD and Clay were another couple I remained unsure about. AD has had a history of dating “players,” and was searching for a partner who genuinely loved her. Clay, on the other hand, had a huge ego, and thought he could attract anyone easily. AD was put off by Clay’s excessive focus on her appearance while in the pods, undermining the experiment’s entire purpose. Much to my surprise, they shared strong chemistry throughout even when they had some rollercoaster moments that left me questioning if Clay was right for AD. At the altar, AD delivered beautiful vows, and said “I do.” Clay had other plans, saying he wasn’t ready to commit to AD, leaving her in tears believing she had been misled. I don’t think the show did anything wrong involving their relationship, but I still felt awful for AD and wished that Clay could have expressed his doubts before humiliating her in front of friends and family.  

Laura entered the show with high standards, clear about what she wouldn’t tolerate. She matched well with Jeramey, as they both sought genuine love. Jeramey was stuck between Laura and Sarah Ann, but chose Laura as he felt a deeper connection with her. While they had their fair share of minor disagreements, their bond seemed strong until Laura discovered Jeramey’s night time visit to Sarah Ann’s house. Their relationship had a major falling out, paving the way for Jeramey and Sarah Ann to reignite their connection. Laura seemed like she couldn’t care less about this, as she was over his shenanigans. I loved Laura for the most part, and found her to be authentic and real. I found Jeramey almost unbearable, and I still can’t believe how he treated Laura so poorly. 

The last couple, and the only one that lasted through this crazy experiment, was Johnny and Amy. Their shared values of family and integrity fostered an immediate connection. Throughout their relationship, they navigated minor issues with grace and shared a deep affection. Their marriage and togetherness during the reunion brought me immense joy, as it was heartening to see a couple weather the storm and show the importance of true love. 

The reunion at the season’s end sparked significant questions from fans that needed to be answered. The messy relationship of Jeramey and Sarah Ann took center stage. Sarah Ann’s controversial DM to Jeramey via Instagram while he was still with Laura garnered widespread attention, leading to her internet “cancellation.” Despite claims of remaining together, Chelsea revealed witnessing their multiple breakups. Tensions flared between Sarah Ann, Jeramey and Laura during the reunion, culminating in Sarah Ann’s eventual apology. Trevor confronted Chelsea, asking if she would have chosen him over Jimmy had he proposed first. Chelsea claimed this was not the case, as she had a “bad feeling” about Trevor. The doubts were validated after Trevor faced online backlash for having a girlfriend during filming. This prompted co-hosts Vanessa and Nick Lachey to stress the importance of participants joining the experiment with genuine intentions. There were also some lasting hard feelings between AD and Clay, although another chapter for the two remains a question. Chelsea addressed the whole Megan Fox situation, blaming it on the internet’s harshness. Kenneth admitted distress over his breakup with Brittany, but revealed their enduring friendship and frequent communication. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the fact that “Love is Blind” offers a unique lens into the complexities of modern romance. As couples navigate the experiment’s format, viewers are drawn into a captivating exploration of love, vulnerability and the lines between authenticity and acting. Despite the drama, moments of genuine love remind viewers that, amidst the chaos, love may indeed be blind.