$1501
$2000

Top 5 ‘Golden Bachelor’ Contestants

Ellie O’Connor

Returning fans of “The Bachelor” franchise and “Bachelor” newbies alike are fangirling over the new “Golden Bachelor” television series that aired on Sept. 28, 2023. Similar to the series “The Bachelor,” “The Golden Bachelor” features 72-year-old Gerry Turner as the bachelor who, from a pool of bachelorettes, will propose to one woman at the end of the season. The show began with 22 women between the ages of 60 and 75. While Gary’s pool of bachelorettes has narrowed to three women entering into the Week Seven episode, many of the contestants this season have proven to be fan favorites; here are my top five picks.

#5: Faith

Faith has proved herself to be many things: a guitarist, a singer and a good listener. The list could go on, but the attribute of hers that sets her apart from the other women is her vulnerability. On Week Five’s episode, Faith approached Gary because she was feeling insecure about their relationship and eloquently communicated these concerns to him. She opened up about her tough childhood as a homeless teen and her history of difficult romantic relationships. Her endearing Week Six hometown episode further won the hearts of fans. She is one of the three remaining women entering into the Week Seven episode.

#4: Nancy

For many, Nancy stands out as the bachelorette who cried whilst trying on a wedding dress for a photo shoot. This momentary breakdown allowed fans a glimpse into her heart and her caring, sentimental personality. Another moment that truly won my heart was when Nancy decided to leave the show. She approached Gary about how she’d noticed his connections were deeper with other women and how she felt it was in both of their best interests to leave the show. This humble decision (while devastating to me) was a refreshing break from the typical Hollywood-esque actions that typically accompany most reality dating shows. 

#3: Joan

Humility and relatability have been general themes throughout the show’s premiere season, and Joan is one of the women who most embodies these characteristics. Her time on her “Golden Bachelor” was cut short of her own volition, even though she felt she was growing in her connection to Gary. After making the decision to leave, she shared with Gary that she needed to leave in order to prioritize the needs of her family. Her daughter was struggling after recently having a baby and she felt a duty to be there for her. This heartfelt decision pulled at viewers’ heartstrings and truly made Joan stand out from the rest of the women.

#2: Susan

Susan (or how I like to think of her, the Kris Jenner look-alike) is the epitome of a fun, playful character who has left a lasting impression on the hearts of many fans. She is truly a “girl’s girl,” seen doing the other women’s hair and being generally supportive of her costars. Even though all the women are vying for the love and attention of one man, she put that all aside to make sure the women felt beautiful; on one occasion she helped Theresa do her hair in preparation for her one-on-one date with Gary. In addition to her kindness, her witty sense of humor is shown throughout the show, making it truly heart wrenching to have watched her go at the end of the Week Five rose ceremony.

#1: Ellen

“Roberta, we made it!” were the words that first made me and many other fans fall in love with Ellen. She remarked this as she made her entrance to “The Golden Bachelor” villa to meet Gary. The infamous Roberta was soon revealed to be Ellen’s best friend who was struggling with an aggressive cancer diagnosis. In addition to her touching tribute to her beloved friend, Ellen left a lasting impression with her talent show performance. In a unique performance, Ellen provided the audience with a comical lesson in sex education. She is undeniably herself to a point that made her refreshing to audiences. She is passionate, funny and loyal to those she loves, all characteristics that made it soul crushing to watch her go home after the Week Five rose ceremony.

Who is your favorite "Golden Bachelor" contestant?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

View Comments (1)
$1501
$2000