$1501
$2000

Top 5 sick day movies

Graphic Ellie O’Connor

The months of January through March in Massachusetts are some of the coldest and most miserable of the year. One of the reasons for this miserable-ness is because everyone is always sick! For those who run into this dilemma, you may find yourself bedridden with nothing to do but stare at the TV. Instead of wasting time searching for uplifting and entertaining movies you can watch (and rewatch) during these bedridden periods, here is a list of my favorites!

#5: “Monte Carlo” (2011) 

This romantic comedy is enjoyable for all ages, and will always be entertaining no matter how many times you watch it. The movie follows an adventure any person would be happy to partake in: being mistaken for a rich and famous celebrity while vacationing abroad. In this film, a group of friends saves up for a post-grad trip to Paris. Even though their plans fail tremendously when one of the girls (Selena Gomez) is mistaken for a British socialite named Cordelia, they are brought to Monte Carlo for a 5-star week of suites, yacht parties and love interests. “Monte Carlo” never fails to transport me out of my bed and into the world of traveling in style, and is a go-to whenever I need my heart to be warmed and my brain to be healed.

#4: “Blended” (2014)

Starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, this romantic comedy has never gotten the attention it deserves. It tells the story of a widowed father and newly divorced mother meeting on a blind date that fails miserably and later meeting again, but this time on an African vacation. I can always count on this movie to put a smile on my face over and over again for its hilarious jokes and heartwarming moments. “Blended” is well-rounded, packed with knee-slapping eccentricity that anyone with parents will find relatable.

#3: “Soul Surfer” (2011)

Based on the true story of professional surfer Bethany Hamilton, “Soul Surfer” sheds light on the story of how a shark attack did not stop Hamilton from following her dreams. While this movie is inspiring, it has a light, summery feel with a happy soundtrack. The movie’s cinematography makes me feel as if I am in Hawaii catching waves at the break of dawn along with Hamilton and her friends. Not only does her story amaze me, but it is a great film to watch when missing the warm weather by imagining a life where you get to jump in the ocean at sunrise before school just like these teens do.

#2: “The Hunger Games” (2012-2023)

If it’s looking like your sick day might turn into more than one sick day, then why not binge a series? For my dystopian lovers, rewatching the “Hunger Games” series is always worthwhile. Starring Jenifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth and more, it has a fascinating plot that will make it hard to pull your eyes away from the screen. This movie provides horror, humor, a love triangle, war, gore, love, hope and more. Though you may spend hours watching this series, the time will go by in the blink of an eye and you will finish each movie craving more.

#1: “Cloud 9” (2014)

Oftentimes when I am ill, I revert to my childhood days of watching Disney shows. A movie that is not only entertaining for younger ages, but is also a favorite for high school students is “Cloud 9.” When snowboarder Kayla Morgan (Dove Cameron) lands herself into some trouble, she is forced to spend hours working on a pet hotel at her father’s ski resort, where she meets former Champion Will Cloud (Luke Benward). Not only does she learn a lot from him about the sport, but she inspires him to get back on the mountain as well. It is a great underdog story. The theme song, “Cloud 9,” will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day, and I can assure you that it’ll prompt you to get on the slopes the second you start feeling better!