$1501
$2000

Top 5 classic horror movies

Graphic Ellie O’Connor

Going into 2024, we have hundreds upon hundreds of horror movies available to us as watchers with new ones coming out every month. But you can’t talk about a new horror movie without first talking about the classics. With that the question stands: what are the top five best classic horror movies of all time?

#5: “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974)

Starting off the list is “Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” The original movie from 1974 has created a franchise known for being one of, if not the most, consistently gory set of movies in horror history. The movie takes place in an isolated area in Texas with the main protagonists, a group of five teens on a road trip. The seemingly innocent ride is soon interrupted with grotesque and disturbing terrors as the teens have to bind together to find out how to make it out of their situation alive, even if not all of them survive.

#4: “You’re Next” (2011)

You’re Next” is a movie that takes place at the residency of the Davidsons. The Davidsons are a wealthy family celebrating their parents’ anniversary. The head of the family, husband and wife Paul and Aubrey Davidson decide to invite their four children and their partners over to their estate for the anniversary. Soon enough, the family finds that their night of celebration over the anniversary of Aubrey and Paul’s marriage has turned into a night of survival. The movie has an amazing cast of actors including Sharini Vinson and Nicholas Tucci as Erin and Felix Davidson. The actors manage to pull emotion into each and every character, making the audience hold strong opinions to each of the family members in one way or another. The movie blends a tasteful mix of suspense and horror with a true twist at the end that leads the viewer to want to watch the movie a second time to pick up on every little detail they could have missed on a first viewing.

#3: “Friday the 13th” (1982)

Rounding off the middle of our list is “Friday the 13th,” the birth of the infamous killer and reason why people fear camping alone, Jason Voorhees. The movie takes place in the now well known fictional summer camp, Camp Crystal Lake, with a group of teens assigned to be camp counselors, but their seemingly innocent job takes a fatal twist as the night continues. The killer’s identity and sometimes simple but creative and memorable kills throughout the movie help it land at its spot of #3 on the list.

#2: “The Shining” (1980)

You can’t have a top horror list without mentioning something relating to Stephen King. “The Shining” was based on King’s novel, which was released in 1977. The movie is set in The Overlook Hotel. A husband and wife with their young son find themselves at this hotel. Over time the effects of the hotel seemingly take their place on the father and aid in his actions as the movie progresses. The movie is a staple of horror as its iconic scenes such as the axe through the door have been referenced in many modern day shows and movies. Starring Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duvall, the movie combines psychological horror with deep suspense while building a connection with the victim(s), leading the viewer to constantly be on edge, holding on hope for the victim(s) at play.

#1: “Scream” (1996)

At the top of the list is “Scream.” “Scream” was the birth of self awareness and tropes such as fakeout kills and anyone being a suspect in horror movies, and undisputed revival of the slasher genre, solidifying itself as a horror classic. The movie manages to combine humor with fear in a tasteful way that keeps the viewer engaged and guessing. Focused on a group of teens who seemingly die one by one, every victim’s passing further opens up the question of who the killer could be as each unexpected turn and twist keeps viewers on their toes. The memorable deaths and plot twist as well as a strong leading protagonists, including Neve Cambell as Sindey Prescott, whose legacy will live on for movies to come, keep this movie at #1 on this list.

What is your favorite classic horror movie?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.