DECA takes on internationals

DECA International Career Development Conference participants posed for a picture in Nashville, Tennessee. Senior Darby Foster, senior Olivia Iverson, and junior Maya John placed as finalists.

Courtesy Algonquin DECA

Matt Franks, Staff Writer

Algonquin’s DECA chapter took on the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Nashville, Tennessee in April with three finalist placers along with chances to meet new business owners for possible job opportunities.

Thirty three students from Algonquin attended the ICDC trip, which was double the amount from last year. Senior Darby Foster, junior Olivia Iverson, and junior Maya John placed as finalists in their categories, while Christina Iverson and Olivia Iverson received the top test scores in their respective categories.

A group of students also attended a leadership training program where they learned new skills on how to be a leader in their communities.

“Katie Miller is also going to be a Mass State Officer for next year which hasn’t been an accomplishment since 2005,” DECA advisor Patricia Riley said.

Along with Algonquin’s great success at ICDC, they also made memories on the trip. Some of the group’s activities included saloon country line dancing, a boat cruise, a trip to the Country Music Hall of Fame, a visit to the Nashville Zoo, and a trip to Centennial Park for an earth festival.

“It’s worth going even though it’s expensive,” senior Parker Lescalleet said.

“It’s a great, overall, fun experience,” DECA President and senior Dana Lidsky said.

Other events on the trip included visiting Opryland for a concert and a closing event ceremony at Bridgestone arena.

Members of DECA enjoy attending the trip to travel, learn, and experience business opportunities that wouldn’t normally be available to them until college.

“It bonds and brings the chapter together,” senior Alexandra Brilliant said.

“The trip is stressful but exciting with competing against the best of the best in the competition,” Lidsky said.

Students who attend the trip often meet business owners who are willing to give them an opportunity in their business.

Previous Algonquin graduate of 2012 Channing Moreland spoke to the students about her own experience in starting her own business. Channing is now a CEO of her own business EVAmore because of her experiences on the DECA trip.

As a whole, DECA gives enterprising students interested in business an opportunity to branch out and become heavily involved in the specific type of business they want to do before they enter college.