When is it officially "shorts" weather?

$1501
$2000

Library to host Arbor Day Tree Decorating event, cultivating green creativity 

The Algonquin library is branching out with its first ever Arbor Day Tree Decorating event, inviting students and staff members to decorate trees from April 22-25 in celebration of Arbor Day.

Organized by the Algonquin librarians, the event draws inspiration from the Concord Museum’s annual holiday tree decorating. It welcomes members of the school community to decorate a fake tree with themes or ideas from a children’s book of their choice. Algonquin librarian Jill Pirrera sees it as a platform to raise awareness about Arbor Day, an annual tree-planting holiday observed on April 26 this year, and the significant role of trees to life on Earth. 

“I feel like [the event] can be a great way for people to kind of understand what [Arbor Day] is because people have heard of it maybe, but don’t really know about why trees are important for the environment in so many different ways,” Pirrera said.

Participants can bring their own 2D or 3D trees, such as artificial Christmas trees or posters, or utilize ones provided by the library. Teams are then able to decorate their trees anytime within the April 22-25 time frame, using decorations or ornaments they own or have created relating to their chosen children’s book.   

“It’s a fun way to show creativity and then also get the word out about an important environmental issue, and so it can be twofold that way,” Pirrera said. 

The displays will be up through at least mid-May for viewing, and all members of the school community are encouraged to participate and enjoy the final products. 

“With the children’s book connection too, I think it’ll be great for the preschool to come by and check it out,” Pirrera said. 

To sign up, teams can have one member complete a google form, detailing their team members and the children’s book serving as their inspiration. Teams should also include a plaque in the display with the title of the children’s book they used and the team’s and/or team members’ names. 

“I’m just really excited,” Pirrera said. “I can’t wait to see what everything’s going to look like.”