Roving Reporter: Students share thoughts on Wellness Days

This year, Algonquin implemented Wellness Days for the first time, where teachers may not assign homework or quizzes due on the Wellness Day or on the following day.
On Wednesday April 10, Harbinger interviewed students and faculty to gain insight on Algonquins new Wellness Days.
On Wednesday April 10, Harbinger interviewed students and faculty to gain insight on Algonquin’s new Wellness Days.
Graphic Ellie O’Connor
Math teacher Gwenevere Fazio
Math teacher Gwenevere Fazio

What do you think of the Wellness Days this year?

“I like the idea of them and the thought of giving kids and teachers a break and reminding people about wellness and mental health. I think that the timing of them with the breaks and term ending and stuff added more stress to kids with testing instead of relaxing. I think that they should be better explained on why we are having them because I didn’t know that it was a religious holiday until the week ahead came out.”

Senior Michael Mesidor
Senior Michael Mesidor

“I think it’s a good thing. The only thing they could change is to have a Wellness Day once a month, instead of having a ‘Wellness Week.'”

Junior Scarlett Lawerence
Junior Scarlett Lawerence

“I think that the Wellness Days are good, but it also depends on the teacher. Some of them don’t observe it as closely as others, and sometimes it can be even more stressful on the students.” 

Senior Autumn Stewart
Senior Autumn Stewart

“I like the concept of Wellness Days, but I don’t like how it is executed. It would be better if it was at the start or the end of the week, instead of the middle.” 

Senior Eric Tam
Senior Eric Tam

“I think they’re very helpful for my mental state, and I think that teachers not assigning homework frees up my time a lot.”

Sophomore Charlotte Fokema
Sophomore Charlotte Fokema

“I think that they would be better as half-days, because all the Wellness Days do is that they just push all of the tests to one day. It’s probably impossible, but I would try to make it so that the teachers don’t put the tests on the same day.” 

Psychology teacher Christina Smith
Psychology teacher Christina Smith

“I enjoy the break in the schedule. However, I am concerned that students may have more work before and after Wellness Days the way they are now, but I will enjoy seeing the future implementations of Wellness Days.”

Sophomore Yaliana Jimenez
Sophomore Yaliana Jimenez

“I think that they are okay; it’s more stress-free, and there are not a lot of tests. I would rather have a day during the holidays rather than have a wellness day. But, for example, my friend has a lot of tests on Friday, so at the same time people get more stressed.”

Freshman Mackenzie Cryan
Freshman Mackenzie Cryan

“I like them, it makes school less stressful. One thing that I would change is that there were a lot of Wellness Days at the beginning of the school year, so I just think that they need to be spread out throughout the school year.”