New Tri-M inductees serenade school during ceremony

Claire Duffy, Staff Writer

The Modern Music Masters (Tri-M) Honor Society inducted new members to recognize their service and dedication to the music department and community on Wednesday, January 6.

“Bringing music to the community is what Tri-M is really all about,” Tri-M chapter treasurer Matt Collins said.

Tri-M is a national organization that Algonquin has been a part of since 1990. It focuses on giving back to the school and the community through service projects that promote the value of all types of music.

“We do a lot of service for the music department and different musical aspects of the community,” Tri-M chapter president Ha Neul On said.

All students in grades 10-12 who are a member of a performing ensemble at the school and meet the grade requirements are applicable to become a part of Tri-M. Students have to undergo the induction process, which includes filling out an application, completing at least one service to benefit the community through music, and performing at the induction ceremony.

The performances ranged greatly, from the size of the group to the style of music they performed. However, Tri-M adviserAmy Collins felt that the the most memorable point of this year’s ceremony was the guest artist’s performance. Every year, the Tri-M induction features the performance and speech of a guest who has a relationship to one of the members of the society.

“This year, Ha Neul’s violin teacher was our guest artist,” Amy Collins said. “He was a fabulous performer; he played a really good mixture of pieces. He was so modest and humble, there was no ego to him and he connected really well to kids.”

Students involved in the music program either participate in a band ensemble or in chorus ensemble, and the two groups do not frequently collaborate. Tri-M gives these two separate groups the opportunity to actively work together.

“This is a group of all the musicians together, collaborating by performing together or creating projects together, which opens up more doors to them,” Amy Collins said.

The members of the society feel that the program has brought them closer to one another, which benefits them in both their musical career and in their personal lives.

“It’s kind of like one big family,” Tri-M Chapter Historian Bits Sangiorgi said.

Amy Collins and the officers would like to congratulate all inducted members and encourage any students interested to become involved next year.