Students debate value of SAT, ACT in college applications

Zach Wilber, Staff Writer

Standardized tests play a large role in a student’s chance of getting accepted to a college, but many students question the true value that these tests hold.

Many students feel that tests like the SAT and ACT do not provide an accurate enough picture of a student’s potential for colleges.

Guidance Counselor David Breglio sees value in standardized test scores and believes that colleges do a good job of looking at everything a student has to offer.

“Students should not put all of their heart into standardized tests. In fact, they don’t want to have test burnouts where they focus too much and do poorly.” Breglio said, “It is important to do prep work for tests and you want to feel prepared, but you shouldn’t feel that your scores are the whole picture of what college you can go to. Some colleges value test scores a bit higher than others, but all colleges really do consider everything.”

Senior Jarod Dell’Arciprete feels that colleges should not put a lot of value into standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT.

“I hope colleges don’t just look at my test scores as the main factor,” Dell’Arciprete said. “I feel like there is a lot more that makes up a student than just how they do on a test.”

Some schools such as Bryant University, College of the Holy Cross, and Clark University have become test optional, which means that a student is not required to send in test scores when applying. These schools feel that they do not need the scores to make an accurate judgement on a student.

Junior Andrew Welton understands the importance of standardized tests, but also feels that more could be added to the tests to enhance the value of the results that colleges will see.

“Honestly, I’m not too stressed about the tests, but I do realize that it can affect your goals for college and later in life,” Welton said. “I do think these standardized tests portray some of your skills, but I also feel like it leaves a lot out. Standardized tests don’t show an accurate picture of who the person is and how they communicate and many other aspects. I hope standardized tests change a bit in the future. I feel like they should add in more aspects than just math, English, and science.”

Senior Jason Truax believes that test scores are not very valuable to colleges because they are not a great portrayal of a student’s’ skills.

“I think colleges put a lot more value into a student’s GPA,” Truax said. “High school definitely portrays standardized tests as more important than they really are. I do not think that these tests are accurate to how somebody really is.”