Pros and cons of AP overload

Michael Schaefer, Staff Writer

The AP program strives to emulate a college level of academics, however these classes have a large workload and can be a great source of stress for students.

Advanced Placement (AP) is managed by the College Board and offers a college level curriculum and examination to high school students.

“I take AP classes to challenge myself with the hardest courses Algonquin has to offer,” senior Jenny Davis said. “I want to have the best understanding possible of the units that I choose to take.”

Algonquin offers 21 AP courses. The AP program offers a broad range of classes: from AP Music Theory to AP Calculus. There are different classes for all types of academic interests.

“[I take AP classes for] mostly interest and also for the credit,” senior Junaid Rathore said. “There’s a high academic standard for these classes, so if you can handle the studying, there are many benefits to taking them.”

The benefit that many students seem most concerned about is being prepared for college. College Board, the company who manages AP exams and SATs, attempts to emulate a college level course for academically driven students.

“I believe that these classes are preparing me well for college because they go into more detail and it’s faster paced,” senior David Sung said. “There is much more of a workload so it prepares you for that too.”

Even if students do not feel like some of  the material covered in class will help them in the future, many find that the academic skills they learn will benefit them later.

“I actually do think they are preparing me very well just because of the valuable study skills I’m learning,” junior Katelyn Li said.

According to guidance, AP classes give students new choices when it comes to selecting courses.

The AP offerings at Algonquin have given students another option when it comes to their course load,” guidance counselor Conor Brosnan said.

AP classes offer a new level of independence that students have to adapt to according to Davis.

“They are very different from honors classes,” Davis said. “They don’t ‘baby’ you by giving you study guides or packets. Everything comes from the textbook.”

However, for many students these classes can become a great source of stress when compared to their past honors or college prep classes.

“All of these classes have been very stressful,” Li said. “However, I would say that I am learning much more.”

AP classes are difficult courses. Brosnan advises that students not to overload on them and to keep balanced schedules.

Each individual student needs to ensure that they not only have a balanced schedule but also a balanced life,” said Brosnan. “Many of the students here attempt to take on too much, both in and outside of the classroom in hopes that they will impress a college. However, this often times backfires, as they are not able to keep up with the pressure and stress of a full schedule.”

While these classes can create a burden of stress according to guidance and students, the AP program offers students an opportunity to explore academic interests at a college level.