REACH program celebrates students with disabilities

Students+in+the+REACH+program%2C+in+room+A113%2C+work+with+teachers+who+strive+to+provide+them+with+the+best+possible+learning+opportunities.+

Photo Rafaela Coelho

Students in the REACH program, in room A113, work with teachers who strive to provide them with the best possible learning opportunities.

Chloe Fay, Staff Writer

The Assabet Valley Collaborative REACH Program, designed for high school age students with multiple disabilities and complex health issues, is filled with laughs and personalities.

The Assabet Valley Collaborative REACH Program hosts six students from 13 surrounding towns. Algonquin is the host school for the REACH program for high school age students.

“Districts pool their resources together so that they can provide additional services for students that live in those districts,” Principal Tom Mead said. “When we have space, we sign up for being a host school for services provided by the collaborative.”

The classroom in A113 is vibrant with artwork and the smiles and giggles that greet each visitor. With assistance from speech therapist Alaina Moorefield, the students greet one another and ask guests questions using their speech boards.

“The mission is to make sure these kids have all the same opportunities as any typical high school student has,” REACH teacher Jaime Bedford said. “They have access to all academics that [Algonquin students] would have access to; they’re involved with math and science, English and language arts, they all take part in the MCAS.”

Aside from academics, the students participate in field trips, also known as community based instruction, to the bowling alley, mall, library, and supermarket. Additionally, they benefit from embedded therapies, including music, speech, animal assisted, physical, occupational, and space and mobility therapies.

“My goal is, what you guys know in the Algonquin community at your age, these guys are your age and I’d like them to have some idea of what you guys are learning,” Bedford said. “We [study trending news and hot topics], sports, arts and entertainment, and we get a lot of that from The Harbinger because we like these kids to know what’s going on in the school.”

“The mission is to make sure these kids have all the same opportunities as any typical high school student has.”

— REACH teacher Jaime Bedford

Although not considered ‘Algonquin students’ by the traditional definition because they are part of the Collaborative, the REACH students are active members in the Algonquin community. From contributing to bake sales, attending the DAO Diversity Show, and recently contributing to the “Socktober” sock drive, the students are often out and about in the halls.

“We love to help out in any way, so if anyone wants to reach out to us with some sort of event coming up, we’d love to help out; make a banner, or cook, or anything, we would love to!” Bedford said.

Trottier graduates may remember having the time to spend with the students during middle school.

“Students who worked with us at Trottier all come back and say the same thing, ‘We wish we had more time in our schedules so we could come back and work with you guys again,’” Bedford said. “It would be lovely to have everyone back!”

Algonquin students interested in working with REACH students should speak with their guidance counselor about the opportunity.

“Sometimes it’s nice if someone even just comes and knocks on the door, or just if they see us out in the hallway and see the students walking, it would be cool if somebody had a minute to just say ‘hey’ and give a high-five; it would make our kids feel great and part of the community,” Algonquin REACH Program’s registered nurse Rebecca Blanton said.

“Our kids are teenagers,” Blanton said. “They may not look like other kids and they may not sound like other kids, but in heart they are just like every other kid and often times have so much to give on many different levels; it’s amazing what you can learn from them. Everyday I leave here and I’ve learned something from them, as much as they have from us.”