DECA brings new goods to Tomahawk Trading Post

Rafaela Coelho

Vice President of DECA Fundraising senior Lexi Brilliant hands a student a candy bar while working a shift at the school store. New Tomahawk apparel and snacks are available for purchase everyday after school.

Max Donahue, News Editor

The school store now offers a wide variety of new items for students to choose from

after reopening for the year on the first day of school.

DECA members Annie Campbell, Lexi Brilliant, and Dana Lidsky have taken on managing the store as their business research project for the year.

“We were discussing different topics that we could choose from for our project, and the chapter had done a lot of work on the store over the summer, so we had a passion for [managing the store] and we knew we could try to make it more successful than it was in past years,” store manager Annie Campbell said.

Of the changes made to the store, the largest is the addition of candy to the store’s inventory.

We made a compromise and brought back candy to be sold after 2:20,” DECA President Dana Lidsky said. “We were really looking for new ways to expand the store and improve it, so we’ve implemented and done a couple new things to help make it better.”

“We had to find loopholes within the law; you can’t sell candy at school within a half hour after school ends, so we sell at 2:20,” Vice President of Fundraising Lexi Brilliant said.

In addition to selling candy, the store will sell pizza every Thursday after school provided by Monty’s Pizza. The pizza is sold in large sheets in order to have enough to sell to the store’s customers.

The store will also be selling other new snacks and apparel, including new white T-Hawk themed t-shirts. The DECA chapter has also purchased a cart to make more mobile sales.

“We purchased a new mobile cart that we take around after school as another way to sell our products in addition to our one stationary store,” Lidsky said. “The main reason behind this is that we’re normally just located by the rotunda which not everyone can get to.”

To account for new sales, a Point of Sales (POS) system was purchased.

“The POS system will help us manage our inventory, and produce sales and data reports; it’s a whole touchscreen system so everything can be kept track of in the computer,” Lidsky said.

The variety of new items are sold at the store Monday through Friday from 2:00 to 2:45 PM.

Contributing staff: Johanna Casey