What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

Senior Reflection: Advice for my fourteen-year-old self

Submitted Ellie O’Connor

The traits you think are weaknesses right now are secretly your biggest strengths, so try not to change yourself.

High schoolers are insecure, and much of what they do is a reflection of that. Don’t take things too personally.

While it may be an overused phrase, try to live in the moment. Put your phone away and look around, be present, talk to the people around you and participate in class and clubs.

Get to know your classmates and teachers! Take classes that actually interest you. It’s not embarrassing to make the most of your experience. Getting out of your comfort zone is the only way to grow, so try it in high school. You really have nothing to lose. 

Even the seemingly insignificant moments are times you only get to live once; from the awkward prom date to the first time driving after getting your license, take in all the highs and the lows. 

People love to complain about high school, but it’s truly a special time. 

You get to see the people you grew up with become who they are. Even if you don’t talk to them so much anymore, these people who have been in your kitchen, rode on your bus or played on your town soccer team know you in such an authentic way. You can’t fake it around them. 

Regionalizing also gives the opportunity to meet a whole new town. While it’s overwhelming at first, don’t be afraid to get to know the other Boro.

I’ve been lucky enough to have found true friends who stuck by me through everything. Remember to not take them for granted. After high school, it’ll be rare to find unique connections like those formed here. 

Throughout my four years, I’ve constantly been reminded that we’re not all that different. It’s easy to judge and put a label on those we don’t know, but we all go through these same halls every day. And everyone, from classmates to parents to teachers, is going through life for the first time, so be gracious. 

When passing by someone you know in the hall, don’t ignore them, just say “hi.”

Being open-minded and kind to everyone you interact with will take you far. There’s so much to learn from the people around you. It helps you realize that you don’t know it all.

But it’s not all easy. You’ll face challenges: from pulling all-nighters to dealing with friendships ending that feel like heartbreak. When high school starts to feel suffocating, remember to ground yourself. Go on a run, talk to your mom, bake some cookies. 

And it’s all temporary- the good and the bad. Keeping this in mind can be bittersweet, a fact I’m beginning to face. For many, graduating will be the first major change we go through. We’re on the precipice of the rest of our lives, and while it’s hard to leave childhood behind, it teaches us to savor the moments as they come.