Students, teachers weigh in on ISIS threat

Nathaniel Nahabedian, Staff Writer

Students’ and teachers’ opinions vary on the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) being a threat.

According to historians ISIS used to be part of Al-Queada, but they broke off to form their own group. Isis’s main objective is to maintain and expand itself by threatening and killing civilians.

Many at Algonquin feel that ISIS is a threat.

“I think there is a tremendous threat to what we are as a country,” history teacher Justin McKay said. 

“I think they have shown that they are a threat to western democracies and to emerging democracies in their own area of the world. Any kind of force that destabilizes communities is a potential threat,” Assistant Principle Paul DiDominico said. 

“I think it is a threat, because we have had past experiences with terrorist groups. I think, because of those poor experiences, we feel threatened,” junior Lexi Brilliant said.

There are many at Algonquin that think that ISIS is not that big of a threat.

“I don’t trust the government who is telling me that ISIS is a threat to the United States,” histoy teacher John Barry said.

“I think that ISIS is a threat to the people that populate that region of the world. Yet, I don’t buy the proposition that ISIS is going to get in planes and fly across the Atlantic. For a multitude of reasons, I don’t trust the modern media outlet, nor the information which they are feeding me,” junior Daniel Greene who is the president of the Junior Statesmen Association said.