Polls

What are you most excited for this summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1541
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Roumiantsev looks ahead to new possibilities following CAP graduation

“Energetic,” “lively” and “sunshine” are just some of the words that recent Community Access Program (CAP) graduate Sofia Roumiantsev’s friends, family and teachers would use to describe her.

On April 26, Roumiantsev graduated from the CAP surrounded by her father, friends and teachers. The ceremony took place in special education classroom D109 where Principal Sean Bevan presented Roumiantsev with her diploma. The ceremony was then followed by a slideshow presentation that featured pictures from Sofia’s childhood and a food-filled after-party.

“I’m just so proud I [got] to graduate with all my best friends and family next to me,” Roumiantsev said.

While at ARHS Roumiantsev was involved in a host of activities including Inclusive DECA, Best Buddies, Unified Track and Unified Basketball. Additionally, she was a manager for the girls’ varsity basketball team. Through her involvement in these activities, Roumiantsev touched the lives of many, creating lasting connections.

“She genuinely loves being social and being part of the community so she was never afraid to put herself out there,” special education teacher Caitlin Hynes said.

Roumiantsev’s father Sergei Roumiantsev expressed pride in her level of involvement and her consistent strides for inclusion.

“She created a community here for her and her friends,” Sergei Roumiantsev said.

She’s just such a positive light in the room and she will always say hi to you.

— Senior Zoe Manousos

Roumiantsev’s involvement with Best Buddies is how she became close to senior Zoe Manousos. While the pair first officially met the summer before Manousos’ eighth grade year,  they grew closer after becoming buddies during the 2020-2021 school year. 

“She’s just such a positive light in the room and she will always say hi to you,” Manousos said. “I feel like that’s always something that will make someone stay.”

Although Manousos says she will miss Roumiantsev, she plans to remain in touch going forward. Not only will she miss seeing Roumiantsev around the building, but also just spending time together in general.

“Outside of school, one of our favorite things to do is go get lunch and we’ll have ‘car jam’ sessions,” Manousos said. “That’s always a good thing that we love to do. We’re both really into all different kinds of genres of music, and a lot of the same ones actually, so that always makes the car rides so much fun.” 

Roumiantsev’s positive presence has drawn many to her, including junior Sophia Garris. Garris says that the two met during a unified culinary class.

“When I see [Roumiantsev], if I’m having a bad day she always makes me happy,” Garris said.

Hynes attributes some of Roumiantsev’s notoriety around the ARHS community to her enrollment in general education classes while in grades nine through 12.

“When I sent out the invitations to her [graduation] party, I had several general [education] teachers email me saying, ‘I can’t believe she’s finished! It’s so crazy to think she won’t be here anymore,’” Hynes said.

Roumiantsev and her family will be moving to Philadelphia at the end of June. With this new chapter in mind, Sergei Roumiantsev described his family’s hopes for his daughter.

When I see [Roumiantsev], if I’m having a bad day she always makes me happy.

— Junior Sophia Garris

“We hope that after graduation from [ARHS] that Sofia will find a community as good as Algonquin High School in Philadelphia, to find new friends and to learn how to be more independent,” Sergei Roumiantsev said.

Roumiantsev is hoping to attend Villanova University in order to pursue her dreams of becoming a basketball coach; while excited for what the future holds, she will miss Algonquin.

“I’m definitely going to miss all my friends and all my teachers and I’m going to miss being in D109,” Roumiantsev said.

Roumiantsev left some parting words for the Algonquin community as she prepares for her move to Philadelphia: “Love you all, I hope you have a great day!”