Honey leads library into revamp

New+librarian+Kimberly+Honey+%28left%29+is+creating+new+features+in+the+library%2C+such+as+a+group+work+space+and+a+quiet+area.+

Photo Connor Lawless

New librarian Kimberly Honey (left) is creating new features in the library, such as a group work space and a quiet area.

Anna He, Assistant News Editor

New librarian Kimberly Honey and library aide Joann Amberson decided to revamp the library to better reflect the variety of student interests and activities.

They started moving furniture over the summer, but most of the changes started when school began. According to Honey, these new programs and areas reflect the views of the students and thus have been generally welcomed so far.

“Some of [the changes] were in the process from the previous librarian, but last year I sent out the survey to faculty and students, so a lot of the feedback that we got from that drove the changes we want to make this year,” Honey said.

Honey and Amberson are focused on setting up a diverse option of workspaces around the library so students can participate in activities of their choice.

“So far, we have the new room that students can study in if they’re working in groups, and we have the nice quiet area out back for students to work, chill [or] play a game,” Amberson said.

Honey and Amberson are pleased with the amount of people utilizing these new opportunities.

“I would say [it has been] very successful,” Honey said. “The quiet corner is used before school, after school, and during studies.”

English teacher Seth Czarnecki believes the library is achieving its goal in bringing people together through the variety of areas.

“I think that the library is always a great place for people to meet and to interact, and I think the library is holding true to that community environment,” Czarnecki said.

Sophomore Sydney Cerro, however, does not really think there have been prominent changes to the library despite using it somewhat frequently.

“I really haven’t noticed the change, but… the coloring thing seems like a nice idea,” Cerro said.

In the future, Honey and Amberson plan to create programs to address less academically-oriented interests, like continuing the speaker series and creating a book club, but they are waiting to gain more student opinions before they do so.

“I think in many ways the mantra is that the needs of students come first, so with a lot of the changes that we’re making here in the library, that’s what we think of,” Honey said.