Sec of Ed praises system

Tori Finn

MA Secretary of Education Matthew Malone visits a calculus class and talked with seniors Morgan Carter and Jem Sibbick about their future plans.

Massachusetts Secretary of Education Matthew Malone engaged with students about their lives both inside and outside of school during his April 1 visit.
Malone overall reacted positively to Algonquin and its students, noting the strength of elective classes, the surrounding Northborough-Southborough community, and the student body’s character.
“The future of the commonwealth is in good shape when you have schools like this. We know that these kids are going to be prepared and ready for college…ready to take the jobs of the twenty-first century. It’s not just about doing well in school, it’s about being a well educated person,” Malone said.
Malone visited Algonquin on the behest of Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, who sent out his cabinet secretaries to investigate schools across the state.
Malone first stopped at the Career Resource Center, where he talked to seniors Jack Mullin, Scott Hanley, Justin Brilliant, Molly Dore, Rachel Crowley, and Maggie Wraight. He asked about their college plans, their interests, and their hopes for the future.
“He was really energetic and really personable,” senior Matt Palmer, who met Malone in his Calculus class, said.
“I was very impressed with the way [Malone] interacted with students at Algonquin. He was energetic, engaged, and definitely interested in the activities taking place in each class he visited,” Superintendent Charles Gobron said.
ARHS’s various electives intrigued Malone, who observed Holocaust teacher Brittany Burns’ fifth-period class.
The students were talking about how the outcome of a decision can change the value of your choices. Malone asked the students, “Do you like having the choice to pick what kind of classes you take?” and received a resounding yes. Malone agreed on the benefits of these types of classes.
“You have the freedom to think critically and responsibly about social justice in ways that some schools I think confine kids’ thinking. I think you guys do a good job sustaining a level of engagement,” Malone said.
“[Malone] commented on the sparkling hallways, stairwells, and classrooms, the friendliness and confidence of our students, the rigor of our instruction, and the incredible academic choices our students have,” Principal Thomas Mead said.
The student body’s politeness and maturity shocked Malone.
“The kids are allowed to be young adults [at Algonquin] and be free to learn. Sometimes schools will hold kids back, but I say let them go! Let them get out and experience what it means to interact and build character, strong relationships, and core values. I don’t even know what your core values are, but I can see in the kids that I’ve talked to that there’s a level of responsibility and respect,” Malone said.
In all, Malone believes that Algonquin sets the example in preparing students for the future.