Annual Art Show displays year’s worth of student work

Students study masterpieces created in art classes of all different levels.

Henna Dhnigra

David Tennyson, Staff Writer

The annual Art Show opened on May 12 bringing together creations from all art levels and giving purpose to a year’s worth of hard work.

The Art Show, coordinated by art teachers Michelle Shepard, Danielle DeCiero, and George Hancin, is set up in the wrestling gym through May 27 allowing students, parents and teachers alike to view exactly what goes on in the art education program.

“It took about five days [setting up the art show], that included putting mats around all the drawings and hanging them up. It was me, all the other art teachers, and many students,” Hancin said.

“One of the reasons we do art is to show other people; it’s like having a movie, people go to see it,” Hancin said. “What’s the point if no one sees it?”

“The amount of students who take on art classes is relatively small, and other students don’t get to see their work. This allows other students to see it,” Hancin said.

Senior and Art 2 student Adrian Anderson finds that the art show is a way to bring praise to a student and their artwork from new eyes.

“I think the art show is important, because it really allows your peers to see what you have been working on, and validates your work,” Anderson said. “The art show allows the creative minded people at Algonquin to have their work on the same level as traditional academic work.”

After only one year of formal practice in visual art, Anderson appreciates Algonquin’s art program.

“I think art education is extremely important and I am very thankful we have so many great resources here at Algonquin, so students can really pursue any artistic lane,” Anderson said.

AP Art student and senior Julia DeMattia believes the Art Show is a great way to showcase the variety of different levels in artistic ability.

“[Art is] important because it helps define who you really are and activates the creative part of your brain,” DeMattia said.

Freshman and Art 1 student Veronika Jaster appreciates the Art Show as a way of sharing the passions of other students.

“I think the Art Show was to show people who are not regularly involved in art, just how meaningful the subject can be,” Jaster said.