$1501
$2000

REVIEW: ‘Better Call Saul’ delivers excellence for compelling narrative

Courtesy AMC
Staff Writer Jack Jones writes that “Better Call Saul,” first released in 2015, is an entertaining watch for fans of “Breaking Bad.”

“Better Call Saul” is a thrilling six-season drama and crime show filled with suspense that’s an amazing prequel to the popular 2009 show “Breaking Bad.” 

“Better Call Saul” follows the life of criminal lawyer Jimmy McGill (Bob Odenkirk), who is struggling to make a living in the business of law. The early seasons are slowly paced, setting up the story and developing characters. The show began its rise in popularity in season three, which originally aired in 2017, as many characters from “Breaking Bad” made a return to the screen. 

While Jimmy is a struggling lawyer he begins to use unlawful and dirty tactics to get what he wants. Bribery, solicitation and money laundering are all common occurrences in the show. The show also follows the story of other characters that were not developed as much in “Breaking Bad,” like Lalo Salamanca (Tony Dalton) and Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito). 

In season four, more characters including the twin Salamanca Brothers and Mike Ehrmantraut who had huge roles in “Breaking Bad,” emerge. Each of these characters is developed in unique ways that reveal more about them. However, it’s not until season five where Jimmy becomes the master con artist that is known from “Breaking Bad” and he changes his name to “Saul Goodman,” throwing away his former name that he felt did not properly represent himself. 

In the following season, he would meet two drug producers, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman: White, a former high school teacher turned into a cold-hearted drug producer who made millions through the distribution of methamphetamine, and Pinkman, White’s former student and his partner in their drug empire. Though with all the cash coming in, the need to launder this money and keep the confines of the law off their backs was the perfect job for criminal lawyer and con-artist Saul Goodman. 

Overall the plot is masterfully written with amazing cinematography and some of the most intricate characters you’ll see on the big screen. I recommend this masterpiece to practically anyone who enjoys a great story with action scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat.