What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

DECA showcases strength, unity at ICDC

Submitted Tessa James
DECA members pose in Disney while on their trip to International Career Development Conference (ICDC).

Algonquin’s chapter of DECA traveled to Anaheim California with 21 members to attend the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) from Friday, April 26 to Wednesday, May 1. 

After competing at the District and State levels of DECA, 18 students advanced to the international level, and three students were invited to attend the DECA Leadership Academy called Ignite. Competitors participated in multiple-choice tests, roleplays and written project presentations. At the same time, attendees of Ignite learned from business professionals and experienced members and networked with students from around the world on how to better their chapter.

“Competition began that Saturday night, when we had opening ceremony,” adviser Lauren Hesemeyer said. “On Sunday, students take a 100-question multiple choice test… and on Monday from eight to five, the students are competing in roleplays, so that’s another part of their score along with their test.”

Additionally, students enjoyed attractions in the surrounding areas, such as Disney and Knott’s Berry Farm. After the usual 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM days of competing and business-related activities, these events brought members of the chapter together through hours of fun.

“It’s really cool to see kids who don’t typically hang out during the school day bond so well on the trip,” Hesemeyer said. “You see friend groups merge, juniors hanging out with freshmen, sophomores hanging out with seniors. It’s a different environment and it’s really kind of cool to see them all getting along with each other.” 

Hesemeyer also pointed out individuals who have exceptionally thrived and grown this year in DECA. This includes next year’s co-presidents, sophomores Lily Dumont and Edie Garton, who both made it to the international competition.

“To see our upcoming presidents make it so far at such a young age just really attests to how much they know about the craft of DECA and how much wisdom they have to pass on,” Hesemeyer said.

Dumont won the “Best Roleplay” award in her category for one of two roleplay scenarios she was given. 

“[DECA] is really important to me because [I] want to succeed,” Dumont said. “[We are] just learning each time we compete, improving on what skills we already have. Especially the skills we learned this year and how far we’ve both come.”

Current president and senior Tessa James also believes that DECA has a bright future, and will miss the people she has been working with since her freshman year.

“We had a really strong team this year,” James said. “Everyone really did their part, and I think we’ve set up a good foundation for officers’ roles in the future. And even on the trip that was very clear that people were doing their roles.”

The DECA team has been able to show off their skills, leadership, and collaboration and the trip to ICDC highlighted the strength of Algonquin’s chapter.