Polls

What is the best part of spring?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Q&A: Winter cheer captain shares insights on team mentality, successful season

Laura White
The cheer team supports the girls’ basketball team during their game against Shepherd Hill on Dec. 8.

The winter cheer team ended their season with a third-place finish at the Midland Wachusett Leagues meet, led by junior captain Julianna Craver and sophomore captains Clarissa Truman and Abby Keats. Craver reflected on the growth and dynamic of the team throughout the season. 

How was the season overall?

“The season was productive and I think that we made a lot of progress this season in terms of our team getting closer and bonding really well with each other. I think we had an overall good season of good teamwork and sportsmanship throughout it. Our coach was very happy about how we were all getting along.”

What was a highlight of the season?

“A highlight of the season was probably our senior night. We were all excited and happy and we all love [senior] Gaby Sidhom, and we were glad she was part of this winter season.”

Who were some of the key players?

“I think that one of our key players was [sophomore] Francis Edelmon because she was an alternate for the season and she stepped up on varsity and filled in for a varsity athlete who could not be at our [Leagues] competition. She really showed that she knew what she was doing and that she could be a good athlete.” 

What’s your team dynamic like?

“We try to do team bonding a lot. This season, it has been kind of difficult to do team bonding considering we only have two juniors and I was the only one who can drive people. At practice we tried to combine our group playlist to see what we all enjoy and we bonded over dancing and having fun. I found that if we become a closer team we become better as athletes together and we grow.”

What was the most challenging part of the season?

“It was really challenging because I only have one season left… We don’t have a lot of seniors going into [my] senior year. We are all very close together and we like to communicate throughout our experiences and what’s going on in our personal lives. I think as a team letting each other go is just going to be the hardest thing within the season.”

What’s coming up next for the team?

“Our season is unfortunately over but we are going to come back next season and we’re going to be a lot more intertwined because we’re already setting goals for summer activities and cheer camps. I know that it will help our season and make us overall happier and more successful.”