$1501
$2000

Girls’ hockey ends 10-game winning streak with Final Four game

Laura White
Algonquin sophomore Brenna Joyce takes possession of the puck during the Final Four playoff game on March 9, 2024.

The girls’ hockey team concluded their season in the state quarterfinals after a loss to Duxbury High School on March 9 with a final record of 16-7-1. 

Even with such an impressive result, it wasn’t always smooth sailing. Senior captain Bryn Domolky reflected on the development and growth of the team.

“At the halfway mark of the season, we had lost a ton of games in a row,” Domolky said. “I think our record was 6-6-1. After that, we won 10 games in a row. There was definitely a very distinct turning point for us once we won that first game after not winning for a couple games. It was like a rocket from there…We were unstoppable.”

Future captain junior Betsy Bertonazzi acknowledged the sudden change in the team’s success.

We became so close on the ice. We were putting things together.

— Future captain junior Betsy Bertonazzi

“As the season went on, we really came together,” Bertonazzi said. “We became so close on the ice. We were putting things together.”

Much of their progress could be attributed to the hard work of the captains.

“Our captains Bryn Domolky and [Clinton senior] Emily Johns are the kind of players that you always want on the ice,” Bertonazzi said. “If you need a goal or you need something to happen, you put them out there.”

As a captain, Domolky acknowledged her responsibility.

“I just tried to keep everyone going, keep everyone motivated, keep the energy up because especially in a sport like hockey, having energy is really important,” Domolky said, “If you don’t, you’re automatically going to lose the game. That energy needs to come from every single individual on the team; it can’t just come from a few people.”

Freshman Courtney Shifrin found the captains’ ability to rally the team together essential.

“Right off the bat the seniors and the captains were so welcoming,” Shifrin said. “Almost immediately, I had made so many friends, and I think that was really important for our chemistry and confidence on the ice. [We were] able to go out there and play our best with people that we trust to have our backs.”

“We were all very individually skilled, but we were losing games because we hadn’t come together and gelled,” Shifrin said. “After getting to know each other and the Vineyard tournament, I think that’s really when we clicked.”

Another key element was the time that the team spent together to strengthen their bond. A tournament in Martha’s Vineyard, where the team participated in two games and socialized, played a vital role.

The tenth game in their winning streak came in the Elite Eight game against Nauset/Monomoy High School. The opposing team played hard and was favored with a higher record. 

“We ended up winning in overtime to send us to the Final Four, and that was such a great moment because we worked so hard and it was farther than we went last year,” Bertonazzi said. “We knew going into it that it was going to be one of our hardest games.”

Looking ahead, the Titans will seek to carry this momentum into next season.

“We have some huge shoes to fill, [and we’re] definitely just going to have fun,” Shifrin said. “And obviously we want to win. That’s going to be a big goal.”