Roving Reporter: What does ARHS predict for March Madness?

The Harbinger reports on student and faculty opinions on the ongoing March Madness tournaments on April 1, 2024.
Graphic Ellie O’Connor
Sophomore Anthony Bessard
Sophomore Anthony Bessard

On the men’s side, of UConn, Alabama, NC State and Purdue, who do you think will win it all? And why? 

“I think NC State will win it all, because DJ Burns is my King.” 

On the women’s side, who do you think will win in the LSU versus Iowa matchup Tuesday night?

“I think LSU is going to win, because Hailey Van Lith is my favorite.” 

What were you most disappointed about and/or excited about during March Madness so far?

“I’m sad because they are letting Zach Edey get so many points.”

Educational support Jonathan Cahill
Educational support Jonathan Cahill

On the men’s side, of UConn, Alabama, NC State and Purdue, who do you think will win it all? Why? 

“I have UConn winning. I did minimal research and a lot of people said that they’re pretty likely to go back to back, so I went with them: local team, one of the three teams in New England that are playing so I think rooting for them is the way to go. They also have Alex Karaban, a local guy.”

“I’d like Iowa and Caitlin Clark to keep going. She’s super exciting and great for the women’s side of basketball.”

“The most exciting thing is NC State, an 11 seed, making it this far. The lowest seed to win [the tournament] was an eight seed, so you always root for the underdog.”

Junior Sophia Khan
Junior Sophia Khan

“I think UConn because they’ve been doing well recently, and it’s their time.”

“Iowa for sure.”

“Caitlin Clark has had some attitude problems and it’s been concerning, so I’m kind of disappointed about that.”

Junior River Connelly
Junior River Connelly

“I’m hoping for a UConn-Purdue battle, and hopefully UConn wins.”

“Iowa all day. Caitlin Clark is nasty.”

“I’ve been excited about the upsets; they make teams shine and I love that. I’m definitely upset about the bracket. Kentucky losing in the first round ruined my bracket.”

Instructional Technology Specialist Brian Calnan

“UConn seems like they’re poised to win it all. They have the experience in the Final Four and are the defending champions. Also, they have a lot of depth in the bench players. Zach Edey has been great and successful during this tournament, but Purdue is new to this stage and has a past of losing to lower seeds.”

On the women’s side, who do you think will win in the LSU versus Iowa match-up tonight?

“I’m very excited about the matchup tonight. LSU won the national championship last year, and it’s hard to send the defending champions home. I think the team is rallying around their coach, you know, the somewhat negative article I don’t think it was that negative that it came off to be. I think Iowa has improved as a team from last year’s defeat to LSU, so I think Iowa will win tonight. I think it will be the best game in that tournament.”

What were you most disappointed about and/or excited about during March madness so far?

“I am a Providence College graduate/fan. I’m not saying they should’ve made the tournament, but there is a case for their placement. The Big East, in general, got snubbed a bit. UConn is still in it, with Marquette and Creighton both making the Sweet Sixteen. I thought that was disappointing. Other teams got in that weren’t as good as these teams. On the women’s side, I’m disappointed that there weren’t many upsets in the first and second rounds. On the contrary, that means that the elite eight and future rounds will be very exciting and quality games. For the men, I’m happy to see that three teams out of the Final Four have either never been to this stage or haven’t been since the 1980s.”

Senior Branden Yan
Senior Branden Yan

“Purdue.”

“Iowa.”

“It’s been pretty interesting since there’s a lot of early upsets. Also, I’m glad that Purdue made it this far.”

Health and Fitness teacher Andrew Kinney

“I think UConn because they have won every game by more than 10 points, they are well coached, their offense is pretty much impossible to scout and defend and they won last year, so they have experience of going all the way and winning.”

“Iowa because Caitlin Clark is ‘him’ [the best].”

“I am disappointed that my bracket was complete trash, but I am most excited about seeing UConn dominate March Madness for the second year in a row.”

Junior Amer Khan
Junior Amer Khan

“UConn.”

“Iowa.”

“That Kentucky lost in the first round.”

Junior Arjun Patil
Junior Arjun Patil

“UConn.”

“Iowa since they have Caitlin Clark.”

Sophomore Cara Leonard
Sophomore Cara Leonard

“I would like Alabama to win because UConn won last year; they do not need to win again, and in my bracket I had Illinois and UConn beat them last night. I was also mad that NC State beat Marquette, but it’s also fine if NC won because they are an 11 team, and they made it to the Final Four. That’s insane.”

“Iowa is winning. Caitlin Clark beat the men’s record in her game: she is insane. There is no way that they are losing with Caitlin Clark; she is carrying that whole team.”

“I was very disappointed with my two finalists, Illinois and Marquette, but I was very happy because I am the only one in my family bracket pool that still has a Final Four left.”

1
View Comments (1)
$1501
$2000