$1501
$2000

The 1970s had music right

Caroline Lou
Staff Writer Tylor Doherty argues why the music of the 1970s is superior to modern day songs.

Are you tired of hearing the same old beats, autotune and repetitive styles of songs that are so prevalent today? If so, then it might be time to take your listening to an earlier time, a time when artists had talent and true musicianship: the 1970s.

In 1965, the U.S. sent troops to Vietnam which was very controversial at the time, and as a way of protest, tons of music was released calling for peace and withdrawal. It was also during the ‘70s that new genres of music were being created with the introduction of electronic instruments, such as synthesizers, electric wind instruments and the minimog. Another contribution to the ‘70s unique sound was psychedelic drugs becoming more mainstream. All of these factors came to a head and formed some of the most creative and interesting sounds one could hear.

One of the more experimental bands of the time was Pink Floyd; just listen to their album “Dark Side of The Moon” and you would be sent on a journey that I would guarantee no music today can bring you on. In between the songs “Time” or “Money,” you’ll hear ambient noises as if you were sitting on the moon that the album’s title describes. The album is best enjoyed when listened to in sequence. 

On another note, “CSN,” an album by Crosby Stills and Nash, has a soothing and relaxing sound. With songs like “Just a Song Before I Go” and “See the Changes,” it’s hard to not enjoy the sounds. “CSN” is considered yacht-rock which definitely has a greater emphasis on the instrumentals than the lyricism.

The music of the 1970s was authentic. A problem with music today is that because almost everything is digital, there are no imperfections in the instrumentals, which gives them a plastic perfect sound. When listening to music that was performed with real guitars and drums, there are minute details you can hear that will remind you that a human performed it which results in a deeper appreciation for the music.

Some other truly awesome bands of this time were Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Boston, The Who, Jim Croce, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Chicago.

Some of my favorite albums from this era would include “Rumors” by Fleetwood Mac, “Brothers in Arms” by Dire Straits, “Cosmo’s Factory” by Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Life and Times” by Jim Croce and “Can’t Buy a Thrill” by Steely Dan.

So if you ever find yourself tired of listening to the same old songs, give these a try and sure enough you will find them worth listening to. You may even find that the music of today just doesn’t match up.

Which is your favorite 1970s band?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

View Comments (1)
$1501
$2000