Polls

What is the best part of spring?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1501
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

REVIEW: ‘The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’ reveals complicated past of villain Snow

Courtesy Lionsgate
“The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” was released in theaters on Nov. 17, 2023.

Directed by Francis Lawrence, the 2023 prequel “The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” dives into the world of Panem during the 10th annual Hunger Games, over six decades before Katniss and Peeta’s victory in the first book. With a very well-developed story, engaging music and a vibrant set and costume design, the audience is drawn in throughout the entire film. 

The film follows a young Coriolanus Snow (Tom Blyth) as he is assigned as mentor to the District 12 tribute, Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler), during the 10th annual Hunger Games. At first, he does the best he can to keep her alive while on the outside of the arena in order to secure a scholarship, but later because he cares for Lucy Gray. After he is caught cheating to save Lucy Gray, he is forced to become a Peacekeeper, where he bribes his way back to his tribute and runs into the familiar face of his friend Sejanus (Josh Andres Rivera). His time in District 12 is where his slow evolution into the nefarious President Snow begins.

The music in the movie is used as a second layer to the story. Lucy Gray’s character is a part of a former traveling musical group called the Covey. The lyrics of the songs that she performs are something that can have people singing after leaving the theater but also tell the story from Gray’s unique perspective. The songs “Nothing You Can Take From Me” and “Pure As The Driven Snow” are both performed live by Zegler in the film, which brings a sense of immersion when in theater. The haunting “You Can’t Catch Me Now” by Olivia Rodrigo quickly became a fan favorite as well.

As you watch the movie, the sets within the story show the clear differences between the distinct upper and lower classes. The setting of Panem is very reminiscent of the 1940s with its architecture and style. All of the characters who are in the Capitol are seen in very classy outfits like tuxes and pencil skirts, which is very opposite of the Capitol we saw in the original trilogy series. The bleak set design shows that early on following the rebellion, the people of Panem were all still rebuilding, similar to how the Districts would be 64 years later. 

“The Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is a perfect way to revisit the beloved series after almost a decade of inactivity. This film does a great job of world and character building, culminating a story with many different layers and allowing viewers to understand why President Snow is the way he is. You can currently see it in theaters or on HBO Max. May the odds be ever in your favor!