When is it officially "shorts" weather?

$1501
$2000

Q&A: Football captain acknowledges team’s accomplishments throughout the season

Marygrace Sarrasin
Senior captain Liam Cunniffe shares the highs and the lows of the football season thus far.

The football team has been making various improvements on and off the field, currently holding a record of 1-8. This season’s captains include seniors Liam Cunniffe and Aidan Callaghan, as well as juniors Owen Ellsworth and Dominic Frallicciardi. Cunniffe reflects on the season so far and what he sees in the team’s future. 

How is the season going overall?

“Despite our record, all of the games have been super close and our team plays with an insane amount of heart. We beat Wachusett this season, which is a really tough team and we have not beat them in the last couple of years.”

What was a highlight of this season so far?

“I think a highlight of this season is how well the offensive line has improved. At the beginning of the season we were a bit shaky, but we’ve improved it a lot and it is now one of the strongest parts of the team.” 

Who are some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this season and how?

“I have to say Owen Ellsworth. He’s an amazing running back, he’s very shifty, he’s very hard to bring down and overall he is just very athletic.” 

What is your team dynamic like and how do you work together?

“I think our team dynamic has a mixture of fun but also seriousness. We always give 100% at practice, because I’ve realized that if we have a good practice a good game will follow it. We are super close [with one another]’ it’s really a brotherhood. We’d do anything for our teammates, whether that be giving rides to practice or consulting each other after a tough game, we’re always there for each other.” 

What do you think is the most challenging part of this season?

“Maintaining a mentally to keep going. Football is such a physically demanding sport where every week you get new bumps and bruises, sometimes even season-ending injuries. For me, I broke my ankle during week five and I’ve been working to get back on the field, but I will continue to lead my team no matter what.” 

What is coming up for the team?

“Currently, a lot of players on the field are juniors or sophomores, so I think that the team is only going to get better and better in the years to come. I believe in the phrase to leave things better than you found them, and that is what I hope to do as a senior captain.”