$1501
$2000

Ghoul-ishly Good Times: The Making of ‘The Addams Family’

As the weather cools and the leaves change color, the production of the fall musical is in full swing. “The Addams Family- School Edition,” is a spooky Halloween classic that requires a great team effort from the cast and crew. 

Auditions for the musical were on Sept. 7, with the final performance set for Nov. 16-18. The production process extends over a period of weeks, during which cast members experience a shift in the intensity of rehearsals, according to junior ensemble member Lilly Hinterneder. 

“A lot earlier, it’s more laid back and less intense,” Hinterneder said. “Later on, you have to attend more rehearsals; it’s more stressful but also more rewarding.”

Senior Justice Huang, an ensemble and set design member, commends the cast on the progress they have made throughout their rehearsals so far. According to Huang, production is a learning process that allows for mistakes to be fixed later on through the collaboration of the team. 

The rehearsals can be pretty long sometimes, but we also get closer; we make more friends and we become a family,

— Senior ensemble member Savannah Staples

“During earlier rehearsals, we get to play around a lot more with the ideas that might be realized later on,” Huang said. “Meanwhile, later in the rehearsals, we try to work out the kinks and perfect everything so we can really have a production that will wow the audience.” 

Many ensemble members share a love for the dancing element of the musical, which requires a high level of skill and memorization. As sophomore ensemble member Sydney Roy explains, this skill is not only acquired during rehearsals, but also through daily practice at home.

“[The directors] have a policy that once we learn it we have to have it memorized by the next time we practice it, so it’s kind of stressful,” Roy said. 

While some find the at-home practice demanding, sophomore ensemble member Hannah Nealon sees it as an opportunity to do what she loves outside of school. 

“When I practice at home, I put my hair up, get a drink, and get to work,” Nealon said. “I enjoy the practice.”

Despite the moments of stress and taxing five-hour rehearsals during tech weeks, cast members appreciate the friendly atmosphere and the bonds that form during the musical production. According to senior ensemble member Savannah Staples, the bonds she has formed during production are well worth the intense practices.

“The rehearsals can be pretty long sometimes, but we also get closer; we make more friends and we become a family,” Staples said.