$1501
$2000

REVIEW: ‘Bottoms’ introduces satirical, sapphic spin to teen comedy

Courtesy MGM Studios
Assistant Opinion Editor Cass Melo and Multimedia Editor Joceline Giron write that “Bottoms” is entertaining while providing great LGBTQ+ representation.

“Bottoms” (2023) is an unhinged, raunchy teen comedy that adds LGBTQ+ representation to the classic coming of age genre with crude jokes, cinematic filming and well-rounded actors.

Directed by Emma Seligman, the movie dives into the lives of two socially unpopular lesbians at Rockbridge Falls High School as they navigate their sapphic identities after accidentally starting an underground fight club. From their high school principal nicknaming the two main characters “the ugly untalented gays” to them hitting the starting quarterback with a car, “Bottoms” is certainly a rollercoaster. 

The story follows best friends Josie (Ayo Edebiri) and PJ (Rachel Sennott) who also co-wrote the movie with Seligman, as they start their senior year of high school. “Bottoms” mimics many classic teen movies with themes of teenage rebellion, while keeping a lively and creative plotline.

After an incident with the star football player, Jeff (Nicholas Galitzine), Josie and PJ start a female self-defense club with the help of classmate Hazel (Ruby Cruz). Their underlying motivation is to get with their crushes, Isabel (Havana Rose Liu) and Brittany (Kaia Gerber). But just as their plan is beginning, Jeff’s right hand man, Tim (Miles Fowler), begins to uncover their scheme.

This unpredictable but engaging movie has a star-studded and diverse cast of mostly women. The lively chemistry between actors gives the movie great comedic timing and a natural hilariousness without forcing the jokes.

The soundtrack was compiled and composed by Charli XCX and Leo Birenberg with original songs like “Yes No Okay” by Charli XCX, and classic additions such as “Complicated” by Avril Lavigne and “PAIN” by King Princess. Each song is paired well with its scene, emulating the emotional drama often seen in teen movies.

Cinematic, highly artistic scenes are distributed throughout the movie, beautifully framing a number of shots ranging from dramatic bedroom ballads to a murderous tirade.

“Bottoms” is a perfect movie for both diverse LGBTQ+ representation and a good laugh. “Bottoms” proves that love is worth fighting for — even if it means starting a fight club. You can see it now in theaters or stream it on Prime Video.