Small cast radiates on stage with “Radium Girls”

Claire Bai and Brianna Tang

Student-run production “Radium Girls” will be performed in a shortened 40-minute run on Thursday, March 3 and Friday, March 4 for general audiences, in preparation for the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild (METG) festival on Saturday, March 5. 

The play by D.W. Gregory focuses on the women who were poisoned while working for the U.S. Radium Corporation in the 1920s and their efforts to take down the company. While the show is typically two and a half hours long, the METG festival, where this play will be performed, has a 40-minute time limit.

“This show is unique because it features a small cast of 10 students, and most of the students are playing multiple characters, switching between them scene to scene,” senior Sarah Boush said. “‘Radium Girls’ tells a very important and accurate historical story about the hardships that the women who were poisoned by radium went through in fighting for justice.”

The METG festival will be hosted by Algonquin this year, and there is a choice for schools to perform in the competitive or non-competitive category, with “Radium Girls” participating in the non-competitive category. Four other schools will attend, with theater professionals giving critiques and awards for each play. 

“It’s great to be able to do theater in a safe space with an audience,” director Brian Kelly said. “I look forward to getting to show once again that we have a community of really talented students.”

Cast members include Boush, senior Mari Fellenbaum, senior Thomas Davis, junior Daniel Boush, senior Juan Benatuil, freshman Ben Khan, freshman Henry Hart, senior Cassidy Brannon and senior Sarah Hoskins. 

Students have been involved in all facets of the production, including set design and stage management, with senior Jared Lipkin managing much of the production.

Tickets are free but must be reserved online.