Students Shoot to “Fill Their Tags”

Nicole McWilliams, Staff Writer

Students hunt to provide, bond, and explore the wilderness with their families.

“It’s good as a recreational sport,” senior Nick DeFeudis said, “but it’s also a good way to get our food.”

More than 38 million Americans hunt and fish, while many students at Algonquin do the same. Hunting depends on the season; fall is the time of year that allows you to “fill your tags” (harvesting an animal)  with most of the wildlife.

Deer season (October 20 to December 31) is a popular time to hunt, because according to DeFeudis, Massachusetts is a state where quality deer can be found anywhere. Hunters typically people go out of state to “fill their tags”; the most common hunting states being New York, Connecticut, Maine, and Vermont.

“Hunting is sitting around for a long time, and sometimes things fall into place, then you hear the crunching of the leaves and you have your gun or bow out when the animal comes in close enough; you’re sweating and your heart’s beating really fast and you’re saying ‘I can do this’ and then you pull the trigger,” DeFeudis said.

According to sophomore Jordyn Woodworth, parents will take their kids out of school, as well as after school, and on Saturdays, because it’s illegal to hunt on Sundays in Massachusetts.

According to sophomore Evan Bramhill, the most common weapons to use while hunting are a bow and arrow, shotgun, and a rifle.

“It’s something that my family can bond over and it brings us closer to our family and friends,” Woodworth said.

Students typically get involved with hunting from their father and grandfathers as a family tradition. They find hunting to be hectic and enjoyable because it’s a good way to be in the outdoors, and provide for their family.

“It takes time, a lot of planning and work,” Bramhill said.

According to DeFeudis, hunting comes with time and patience, depending on your schedule; lots of practice beforehand gives you focus and a better chance to “fill your tags”.

“You wake up early, eat, get dressed, go out there, and then you just wait,” Bramhill said.