Girls’ indoor track leaps hurdles during a strange season

Katy O'Connell

On Feb. 9, Ellie Westphal runs hurdles during indoor track practice.

Maggie Fitzgerald, Staff Writer

The girls’ indoor track team has met tough competition during a COVID-stricken season but is optimistic for upcoming events. 

With a record of 0-2 as of Jan. 12, the team has faced several major COVID-related challenges. 

“In last night’s meet [against Shrewsbury on Jan. 5], we lost by only three points,” coach Ken Morin said. “One of our top athletes was missing due to COVID-19. She absolutely would have affected that score.”

Not only are athlete absences a side effect of COVID-19, but so are increasing stress levels and decreasing active practice time. 

“COVID has been crazy everywhere, but it especially impacts indoor [track],” senior April Davis said. “It just sometimes feels like another thing to worry about besides performing as best you can.”

Davis is one of the team’s star athletes, and during the meet against Shrewsbury, she won the 55- and 300-meter races. 

“Our team has some really decent senior athletes this year,” Morin said. “April Davis is one of the best sprinters out there.”

Senior Hayley Norton, a star long-distance runner, has been exploring new boundaries this season.

“Hayley is incredible,” Morin said. “She has won both of her races so far, both the mile and the two miles.” 

According to Morin, this season’s athletes are showing great improvement, and Davis appreciates her teammates’ dedication. 

“Indoor [track] has less athletes, but I think they are more dedicated to the sport,” Davis said. “Especially when we get to go to the Reggie Lewis Center, the energy is cool.”

While they’ve faced competitions and challenges together, relationships with fellow athletes have flourished this season.

“I really enjoy spending time with my friends after school, especially doing something we all enjoy,” sophomore long-distance runner Eva Hamel said.

The team is looking forward to future meets, including the one against Westborough on Jan. 26. They are also working to improve despite the challenges they will face. 

“Given the climate with COVID and limited training time and space, it is a challenge to compete against teams with indoor tracks, but I am proud of this team for doing their best,” Morin said.