Committed Seniors 2021: Round 4

Seniors Patrick Freeman, Brendan Mccarthy and Mikhail Medina have committed to playing sports at Keene State College, Colby College and Vassar College.

Jenny Lambert, Erik Lin, and Andrew Roberts

The Harbinger will be spotlighting seniors who have committed to playing sports at the college level in multiple rounds.

Patrick Freeman – Keene State basketball

Senior Patrick Freeman is eager to continue playing basketball at Keene State after receiving consistent signs of interest from the college. (Annabella Ferraiuolo)

How do you feel about being committed?

“Definitely feels good to get this over with early. I’m glad that I committed there because it’s both a good academic fit and a good athletic fit. I felt at home there when I visited, and it really felt like a good fit for me.”

What made you choose the school you’re committed to?

“They were probably one of the only schools that kept constant contact. That set the tone that they were interested, and that was the driving factor. They showed commitment towards me before I committed there.”

What does it mean to you to play a sport in college?

“It means everything; it’s been the dream from when I started playing. I’ve always wanted to take that next step, from high school, to college, and maybe eventually to the pros. That’s the goal.”

Brendan Mccarthy – Colby soccer

After years of hard work, Senior Brendan Brendan Mccarthy’s dream of playing soccer at the collegiate level will be fulfilled at Colby College. (Olivia Battles)

How do you feel about being committed?

“I feel super relieved that the process is over. It was a lot of hard work, through creating highlight videos and constantly reaching out to coaches everyday, especially in times of COVID. To finally have the process be over after dedicating a lot of time to it over the spring and summer, it is a great feeling.”

“I chose Colby for a couple reasons. It is a very high-academic ranked school, so I knew I would be getting an amazing education. Colby also is D3 and is apart of the NESCAC conference, which is one of the most competitive D3 conferences in the country. So I knew at Colby I would have a perfect balance between getting a great education, while playing the game I love at a highly competitive level.”

“Playing soccer in college is a dream come true for me. Ever since I started playing soccer, I always was looking forward to playing at the next level whether it was the town travel team, a club team, or high school soccer. Through the years I always had the dream of playing collegiate soccer and I feel a strong sense of accomplishment by continuing my athletic career in college.”

Mikhail Medina – Vassar cross country and track and field 

How do you feel about being committed?

After visiting their campus in the summer, senior Mikhail Medina has committed to Vassar College for cross country and track and field. (Olivia Battles)

“It feels like a weight’s been lifted off my shoulders; no more college apps. It’s also nice to see all my training runs, workouts and races over four years paying off. I can’t wait to get started next year.”

“I started by Zooming coaches at liberal arts colleges at around Vassar’s academic level. Then I visited Vassar over the summer and loved the campus. I also found that Vassar’s cross country and track and field teams were near the top of their NCAA conference, and I would definitely be pushed by teammates faster than me, but I would still be able to make an impact on the team. The coaches were very serious about training, but also cared about athletes’ academics and well-being. Vassar also has an open academic curriculum and an unlimited meal plan which was appealing to me.”

“It feels like the thousands of miles I’ve run throughout high school have paid off. Four years ago, I wouldn’t have thought this was a realistic possibility. If anything, it’s a huge accomplishment to continue running three seasons in college. I also think it’s a great way to represent Algonquin post-graduation. Now, I just can’t wait to start racing at the next level.”