Travassos hopes to form bonds with students as new chemistry teacher

Priya Maraliga

New science teacher Emma Travassos sorts through tests after a long day of school. Travassos hopes to share her passion for chemistry with students but learn about their daily lives as well.

Kaitlin Bardsley, Staff Writer

New science teacher Emma Travassos hopes to spread her deep passion of science with her students, and she is excited to be teaching chemistry at Algonquin for her first time this year.

Travassos has a passion for chemistry and is eager to share her knowledge with her teen students, who she finds interesting and enjoyable to work with. 

“I’ve always liked math and writing, and once I took a chemistry class in high school, I realized it is everything that I liked, and I found all the chemistry content interesting,” Travassos said. “Everything around us is a product of chemistry to some extent.” 

Travassos’s sophomore year of high school was her first time taking a chemistry class, and she instantly felt a connection with the course. Her passion for chemistry grew as she was able to incorporate math and writing, which are her favorite things in one subject. 

Travassos graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where she studied chemistry and earned her degree to become a chemistry teacher. 

Travassos loves working with teenagers because they have something new to talk about or learn every day.

“I feel like every day there is something new,” Travassos said.

Everything around us is a product of chemistry to some extent.

— Emma Travassos

Travassos loves when teenagers express their opinions and emotions. Her favorite is when a student will yell something random like, “I’m tired!” Travassos likes to get her students’ minds moving by teaching them chemistry but also loves to learn about their everyday lives and gain knowledge from them.

Travassos enjoyed her first-day of hybrid learning since it was her first-time having students in the classroom. 

“The start of the school year was unique; joining the school year in all this craziness was different,” Travassos said. 

As she prepared for the school year, she never felt alone because she had the support of her fellow teachers and staff. 

“Many teachers said that this new and unique start of the school year was difficult but they had to work together to make it easier on themselves and their students,” Travassos said.