Gymnastics places second at States, moves on to New Englands

Debroczy takes All-Around title at team states for second year in a row

Jenny Lambert, Sports Editor

With their outstanding beam performance, the gymnastics team placed second in the Massachusetts State Gymnastics Championship meet on Saturday, Feb. 29. 

The team finished with a score of 145.325 points, just behind Masconomet, who had 148.625 points. Sophomore Lizzy Debroczy won the All-Around category for the second year in a row with 38.55 points and sophomore Mia Gorman placed sixth with 36.45 points. Debroczy scored a 9.7, 9.775, 9.45 and 9.625 on the bars, beam, floor and vault, respectively. The team advances onto New England Regionals, which is on Saturday, March 14 in Fairfield, Connecticut.

Coach Jordan McStay is proud of the team’s performance.

“We could have come in last and I would have been just as proud of my team,” McStay said. “I couldn’t have asked the team to perform any better. They gave it their all and deserved to be champions.”

The team placed sixth in the state last season and were state champions in the 2011-2012 season.

“In our eyes, getting second [at States] was like getting first because the team that got first place is next-level good,” Debroczy said. “Making it to New Englands was even better. We were extremely thrilled.”

According to junior Acacia Truong, competing at States came with a lot of nerves, but keeping a positive attitude helped her stay composed.

“I was definitely nervous going into States because it’s such a big deal and the possibility of making it to New Englands added another level of pressure,” Truong said. “My teammates and coaches’ positive energy for sure helped calm my nerves and focus on doing my best.”

The team began the meet on bars. The top three scorers were Debroczy, Gorman and sophomore Anna Haven, with scores of 9.7, 8.85 and 8.35, respectively. After the first rotation, the T-Hawks were in sixth place. 

Gorman said her teammates’ support is what helps her succeed.

“Hearing my teammates’ voices on the side always helps me stay focused and perform well,” Gorman said.

Exceptional performances in the team’s second event, beam, launched the T-Hawks into second place. Debroczy scored a 9.775, Gorman scored a 9.35 and Truong scored a 9.45. The team’s beam score was 54.5 with all six girls who competed in this event. 

“Our beam rotation did absolutely amazing, and we scored our highest beam score of the entire season,” senior captain Elizabeth Shaw said. “Everyone on beam had worked so hard throughout the week and their routines showed it.”

The third event was floor, where team members also scored high. Debroczy, Gorman and Truong scored a 9.45, 9.1 and 8.9, respectively. The team was in third after this rotation behind Masconomet and Bridgewater-Raynham. 

While preparing for States, athletes worked on small details to perfect their floor routines.

“We mainly worked on cleaning up our routines by focusing on the little things, like pointing toes and fixing shapes, that could have made the difference between making it to New Englands and not,” Truong said.

The final event, the vault, sealed Algonquin’s second place spot. High scorers included Debroczy, Gorman and senior Sarah Middleton, who scored 9.625, 9.15 and 8.85, respectively. 

Middleton tried a flipping vault for the first time at States and succeeded.

“Sarah Middleton’s vault was the highlight of the meet,” Debroczy said. “It was literally the best thing in the entire world.”

The team was proud of Middleton’s accomplishment.

“As she went, we all were anxious because we didn’t know what was going to happen, but it was such a good surprise,” Truong said. “She did an amazing job.”

McStay feels confident going into New Englands.

I know the team will be super successful,” McStay said. “They have the skills and talent to back that up. No doubt we will be turning some heads in Connecticut next weekend.”

Shaw is proud of the team’s success and appreciates her team.

“As a captain, this season has been incredible,” Shaw said. “I have been on the team for all four years of high school, and this has by far been the best. We have had an insane amount of success, but even if we weren’t as successful, I would have enjoyed the season just as much because I am surrounded by such a great group of people. This team is really special.”