OPINION: Senior sports seasons: the glory days

Seniors+manifest+their+T-Hawk+pride+throughout+the+sports+seasons%2C+lending+to+the+nostalgia+once+the+season+is+over.+

Photo Jeff Slovin

Seniors manifest their T-Hawk pride throughout the sports seasons, lending to the nostalgia once the season is over.

Emily Smith, Sports Editor

Calling all senior athletes: we are about halfway through our senior year, and some of us may have already played in our last Algonquin sports game. And for those of you who still have time left, my only advice is don’t take a second for granted.

Although I may hold some bias, I do believe that Algonquin has pretty above average sports teams and fan support. We don’t call it “T-hawk nation” for nothing.

Imagine coming from a different school where their team has never competed in a playoff match, or the only fans at the big games are the parents. (Disclaimer: nothing against parents, you guys are dedicated and wonderful!) We are lucky to go to a school like Algonquin, where we have exciting memories of playoff games and CMass Finals.

Now seniors, listen up. The feeling of playing in your last game will be unfortunately more bitter than sweet. The memories made throughout the season will stay with you forever, but the ending will be too abrupt, too soon. So when you look back, just remember the good times.

Some of you have been playing your sport since you could walk, and for those of you who won’t be continuing to play competitively in college, this is it. So take in every moment. Remember how it feels to play under the lights, hear your name on the loudspeaker, and remember that moment when you won that game that nobody thought you could win. Nobody remembers the blowout games; they remember the games where you were down and scored the game winner in the last minute.

High school sports are about more than just playing the actual sport. The atmosphere of the team is a special experience, whether your sport is individual or group-oriented. You spend hours every day with these people at practice, you see them around school, and you compete together as a team. You go to pasta parties and endure endless workouts together, and somewhere along the way you meet your closest friends.

High school sports are different from club sports. You practice and work hard all week, and on game day you don’t just show up for your team, you show up for Algonquin.

So in these final months, take it in. Go to that big game, even though you have more homework than you can manage and you are running from activity to activity. Never stop running. Because one day, it will all be over.