Drowning in alcohol

Student drinking has detrimental effects on personal well-being and the community

Jen Fox, Editor-in-Chief

Some follow the lead of friends, maybe feeling lost at a party and hoping to loosen up. Others sit with their families around the kitchen table, chatting and sipping wine or a bottle of beer. Some drink on religious occasions, while others feel worn down by the stress of everyday life and just want to escape everything for a little while. Still others choose not to drink alcohol at all.
Everyone has reasons why they do or do not drink. But according to a survey taken by 215 students in homeroom on October 2, the majority of Algonquin students have consumed alcohol at some point in their lives.

The statistics and possible explanations
Only 8.9 percent of freshmen and 20 percent of sophomores reported drinking recreationally. Conversely, an average of 52.0 percent of juniors and seniors reported that they consume alcohol for fun.
Including those who drink for religious purposes or with family, the percentage of underclassmen drinking is 31.1 percent, while the percentage of upperclassmen is 61.1 percent. The jump between the two grade sets almost doubles the amount of students who chose to consume alcohol.
Of those who drink, 72.3 percent of freshmen consuming alcohol drink in a familial environment, (meaning non-recreationally); 66.7 percent of sophomores drink in the same way. However, only 17.1 percent of juniors and 12.5 percent of seniors who drink reported doing so for reasons other than recreation.
So why do more and more students consume alcohol as they get older? There are many possibilities. Juniors have new-found freedom with drivers’ licenses, later curfews and less parental supervision. Some also believe that increased stress can lead to increased consumption.
As underclassmen, stress related to strenuous college searching and the future is much lower relative to that of juniors and seniors, which may speak to the 52.7 percent of juniors who report drinking recreationally, while a similar but smaller 51.2 percent of seniors report the same.
“Some students may drink to relieve stress,” Director of Guidance Lisa Connery said. “I think there’s a lot of pressure on kids nowadays to perform and to perform at a high level, to figure out what they’re going to do for the rest of their lives.” 

Some students may drink to relieve stress. I think there’s a lot of pressure on kids nowadays to perform and to perform at a high level, to figure out what they’re going to do for the rest of their lives.

— Lisa Connery, Director of Guidance

Due to the looming prospect of college applications, standardized tests, and challenging classes, many consider junior year as the most stressful of high school. Senior year can be similarly challenging, but once students know if and where they are attending college, a certain amount of stress falls from their shoulders.
“Everybody shouldn’t be taking four or five APs,” Connery said. “You don’t have to be involved in six or seven clubs. Focusing on yourself and finding things that you are interested in, that you’re good at, [is important], and challenging yourself appropriately in those areas.”
Connery emphasizes that students overworking themselves can be unhealthy in everyday life, apart from leading to poor decisions regarding alcohol consumption
“It’s okay to do a mixture and to bring some balance, so that you’re able to get some sleep at night, [and] not feel stressed,” Connery said. “There’s this understanding that if you don’t get into a top-tier school, somehow your life is over. And when there’s schools are only accepting seven, eight percent of the applicants. It’s selective and competitive, but there’s a lot of great schools out there for people. There’s a lot of great opportunities. I just do think that there’s incredible stress put on kids.”
According to College Board data, the number of students taking AP Exams has more than doubled from the testing administrations of 2004-05 to 2014-15. This data also illustrates the increase in students taking multiple AP exams instead of just one or two.
Principal Thomas Mead highlighted that there are healthier ways to deal with stress and challenges.
“This really goes to a capacity for self-advocacy,” Mead said. “People who understand that when they get into trouble of any kind, whether it’s physical, emotional, psychological, whatever the trouble is, they have trusted people they can turn to. That could be your best friend, and your best friend might say, ‘Hey, you’re in trouble, but I can’t help you. Here’s someone that can help you.’”

The pressures
As a teenager, it’s hard to say “no.” When a trusted friend says it’s okay to try a glass (or two, or three, or ten), far less drama or teasing incurs by simply agreeing, rather than to just say no. In addition, some students are so curious and excited about the idea of alcohol that they accept the drink just to see what all the fuss is about.
“Some kids may be drinking and they may put pressure on their friends to also drink, and they might make fun of them if they’re uncomfortable drinking,” Connery said.
All students, whether through the DARE program or in health class, have heard to just say “no” to alcohol. Yet, over half of the upperclassmen surveyed claim to consume alcohol on a regular basis.
“What’s the legal drinking age in Massachusetts?” Mead asked rhetorically. “Veintiuno [21]. That effectively rules out every student here of drinking legally.”
“It’s hard, it’s definitely hard,” Connery said. “Peer pressure is alive and well.” 

My recommendation would be to never hold onto that information alone, because that’s a lot for that friend to hold onto, and to tell a trusted adult about it, and maybe work with them on how to approach it.

— June David-Fors, Director of Northborough Family and Youth Services

The dangers
To many teens, drinking may seem fun and harmless on the surface, but extensive dangers lie beneath.
Of upperclassmen who consume alcohol, 23.7 percent of those students reported that they have operated a vehicle under the influence or been a passenger in a car with a drunk driver. 27.1 percent of upperclassman who consume alcohol have blacked out due to high alcohol consumption.
The dangers do not end there. 11.8 percent of upperclassmen who drink have gotten into a physical altercation when intoxicated, and 13.5 percent have found themselves in an unwanted sexual situation while drinking.
According to health teacher Melissa Arvanigian, teenagers continue to develop physically and mentally throughout high school. Alcohol consumption can damage bodily systems when the drinker has not yet reached biological adulthood.
“[The drinking age]’s so important because, again with the brain development, teens don’t realize that even though you’re 18 and you’re considered quote un quote ‘an adult,’ your bodies and your brains don’t fully mature until 21,” Arvanigian said.

Getting help
Most upperclassmen who drink do so often. 70.6 percent of juniors and 62.5 percent of seniors who consume alcohol drink more than once a month.
Drinking frequently may indicate a problem- or lead to one in the future. Fortunately, there are many people students can turn to for help.
“An important thing is to look at the counselors in a different light,” Connery said. “Lots of times if kids think if they come down and talk to us that somehow they’re going to get into trouble. We’re not here to get anybody in trouble. Of course, if the kid is struggling, then we’re going to try and find some extra support for them.
The Northborough Family & Youth Services provides counseling and referrals to students and family members who may have problems with substance abuse, including alcohol. Director June David-Fors urges anyone who believes they cannot control their drinking to talk to a friend, adult, or counselor. She also asks that students look out for their peers, and take action if they notice alcohol abuse occurring.
“My recommendation would be to never hold onto that information alone, because that’s a lot for that friend to hold onto,” David-Fors said, “and to tell a trusted adult about it, and maybe work with them on how to approach it.”
Connery notes a similar point, expanding past alcohol consumption into any sort of serious concerns a student may have for their friends.
“The sooner someone knows that there’s a problem with a student, and can put some outside supports in place, the better off that student is going to be,” Connery said. “Whether that is for somebody who is struggling with depression or anxiety or is drinking or smoking pot, it doesn’t matter what the issue is. Students need to trust their instincts. They know. They know when they start to say, ‘Hm, I’m concerned about this student, I’m concerned about my friend. This seems like it’s gone a little too far.’ At that point, they really should trust their instincts and seek out some help. And that’s what we’re here for. We do all sorts of assessments on students, we do all sorts of outside referrals for families, and we also help to mediate some of the discussion between the student and the parent.”
“If they’re engaging in activities that are putting them at significant risk, then we need to put some supports in place to ensure that they’re safe,” Connery said.