Heggadahalli checkmates his way to Class B national chess ranking

Photo Riya Pujari

Freshman chess prodigy Bharath Heggadahalli concentrates on his next move.

Ruth Ricciuti, Staff Writer

When freshman Bharath Heggadahalli opened a crystal chess set given to him for his fifth birthday, it was the start of his first lesson in a sport that he would later find passion and success in.

Heggadahalli has been playing chess at home, at clubs, and in tournaments since then and is now an accomplished player. He is currently ranked 1,795 on a scale used by the United States Chess Federation ranging from 100 to 2,800. Rank is based upon a player’s wins, losses, and the skill level of their opponent.

“There’s Class E to Class A,” Heggadahalli said. “Then Expert, Master, and Grand Master. Right now I’m a Class B almost in Class A.”

Heggadahalli studies with Grand Master Alexander Ivanov out of Newton, Massachusetts. He played in many tournaments with Ivanov before making the decision to work with him in 2015.

In the last five years I don’t think I have won any game against him.

— Father Rajanna Heggadahalli

“It is pretty interesting learning from Ivanov because he is a former U.S. Champion,” Heggadahalli said. “One day I hope I can be as good as him.”

Heggadahalli has competed in tournaments around the country, winning both trophies and monetary prizes.

“I’ve been to Florida, Pennsylvania, [Washington] D.C., and Nashville,” Heggadahalli said. “Most tournaments I go to you get money ranging from $50 to $2,000. The most I’ve won is $2,000.”

Heggadahalli’s father, Rajanna Heggadahalli, was his first chess teacher.

“During his early years, when he was six or seven years old, I used to intentionally lose games against him to motivate him to play,” Rajanna Heggadahalli said. “In the last five years I don’t think I have won any game against him.”

Both father and son recognize the life skills chess has helped Bharath conquer.

“Chess [has] made Bharath a good sport,” Rajanna Heggadahalli said. “[He’s] not afraid to lose, and he knows there is no substitute for practice.”

“When I play chess I think ten moves ahead,” Bharath Heggadahalli said. “In life you have to be prepared for what’s ahead of you, so you have to think about what’s going to happen and make decisions around that.”

Looking ahead in his own future, the freshman has high hopes.

“I probably will continue as a hobby,” Bharath Heggadahalli said. “But depending on how I improve in chess it might become a career.”