REVIEW: Say good morning with C’est La Vie

Nestled+next+to+the+Northborough+Library%2C+C%27est+la+Vie+serves+French+faire+in+a+cozy+atmosphere+perfect+for+afternoon+coffee+and+brunch.+
Nestled next to the Northborough Library, C'est la Vie serves French faire in a cozy atmosphere perfect for afternoon coffee and brunch.

Submitted Gretchen Forbush

Submitted Gretchen Forbush

Farah Djunaedi, Staff Writer

Look no further than the brick building in the center of Northboro to satisfy those early-morning cravings. Located at 30 Main Street, C’est la Vie is another one of the town’s hidden culinary treasures. After having been empty for years, the brick building (formerly a religious bookstore) caught owner Millie Milton’s eye.

After graduating culinary school, Milton saw potential in the building to become her dream cozy and eclectic restaurant.

A casual space filled with the aroma of freshly baked goods and coffee, C’est la Vie is a small French-inspired bistro with international influences. With a huge variety of menu items, the well-priced menu is a combination of familiar and unique dishes. From classic hash browns to assorted pastries and quiches, there is something for everyone’s taste.

The omelet mélange features the chef’s special omelet of the day with a side of hash browns and choice of toast ($11). One popular chef’s special is the omelet with cheese, onions, and mushrooms. The variety of texture in the dish and the combination of savory and hints of sweet creates an explosion of flavors that work delightfully together. Even something as simple as wheat toast with warm melted butter on top tastes comforting and delicious.

Another one of my favorites is the waffles or crepes ($5), with the choice of crafting either to one’s preference. The light airy texture of the waffles and crepes complements the subtle sweetness of the dish very well. You can choose as many additional toppings ($1 each) such as warm cinnamon apples or chocolate ganache to go along with your choice of dish. And with many different toppings to choose from, there is no way you can go wrong.

To top the incredible menu and meals, the atmosphere of C’est la Vie is warm and inviting. Looks are deceiving, as despite appearing small from the outside, one step through the front door reveals a charming and spacious dining area. The inside has the homey features of an old-house turned into a stylish cafe.

Accessorized with nifty table settings such as unique salt and pepper shakers and eclectic decor, the bistro truly has an antique vibe and atmosphere.

Having been here several times, I have always enjoyed each and every meal. The bistro is open for breakfast and lunch until 3:30. And on summer days, there is outside seating on the decks to enjoy the warm summer sun. The wait, if any, is quick and the staff are pleasant and extremely welcoming. However, speaking from experience, for groups of larger than 6, the wait can be quite lengthy upwards of 15-20 minutes. Regardless, the whole experience will truly have everyone coming back for more.