Tri-M induction manifests harmony in music, service

Max Donahue, Managing Editor

Video Max Donahue and Dana Fishman

Tri-M Music Honor Society inducted 37 new members on January 4, hosting a ceremony in the auditorium comprised of a formal induction and various inductee performances.

Formerly known as Modern Music Masters, the abbreviated Tri-M Music Honor Society strives to give back to the community through music.

“In order to apply, they have to fill out an application and they have to commit to completing one service prior to induction,” Tri-M Advisor and Band Director Amy Collins said. “The service has to be music related; they can usher concerts, help backstage at concerts… Anything music related.”

The induction featured a speech and performance from Trottier Middle School Band Director Jamison Clark; Collins mentioned Clark was chosen due to the considerable impact he has had on many of the inductees.

“I can trace my life really through my experiences in music; it’s introduced me to the best friends that I have, it’s introduced me to my wife,” Clark said in his speech. “Everything I do and everything I know comes from my experiences in music.”

Although advisors Collins and chorus director Kathrine Waters administered the event, the induction was mostly run by the student officers.

“To plan for the event, we had to accept all of the group performance assignments, we had to organize all the musical groups together,” Tri-M President Gretchen Forbush said.

Forbush and the other officers delivered a speech to welcome new members and introduce Clark at the beginning of the ceremony. Many of the current members of Tri-M attended the event to support their peers.

“My experience has been wonderful, I’ve made lots of friends I wouldn’t have made had I not been in the music department,” senior and Tri-M member Chloe Bernier said. “Tri-M has gotten me involved in performances and activities I wouldn’t have previously been involved in.”

Through the various performances and speeches given at the induction, the value of Tri-M in the community was evident.

“Tri-M is interesting because you get to see the different sides of everyone, how people have more than just the musical talent you see in the band room,” Forbush said. “It’s interesting to be involved in the community with all the service projects we do; we can reach out to our audience members and be their audience members.”