Tired of morning traffic into school, needs a quick solution

Dear Editor of the Harbinger,

There has been a lot of talk throughout the school about the traffic line to get into Algonquin Regional High School in the morning. Within the last few weeks more people have been late than usual. The increase in the number of people tardy might be because of the cold weather. Parents tend to drive their kids to school in cold weather instead of having them take the bus because they don’t want them waiting outside for the bus to come. Unfortunately, this is having a negative effect on the students, staff and buses. The traffic line to get into school is starting earlier than ever. In order to have students, staff, and buses arrive on time something is going to have to change.

A solution to this conflict could be starting the school day five minutes later or making the back entrance off of route 20 to Algonquin Regional High School a two-lane entrance in the morning. Currently, it is a one lane each way entrance and exit. A solution would be to turn it into a two-lane entrance in the morning instead of an exit. If it becomes a two-lane entrance in the morning the cars in the left lane would have to turn left and either park in the back parking lot or continue around the school to the lower school office. The right lane would have to turn right and either park in the rotunda or the lower school parking lot. The two-way entrance would shorten the traffic line significantly off of Route 20. Also, parents that are dropping their kids off should only be able to enter and exit through the front entrance. Students, teachers and buses need to be on time. My solution will not only decrease the number of people tardy each day, but will also relieve a lot of stress.

Thank you,

Kaitlin Furey

Class of 2017