Unified Basketball shoots for smiles

Team spreads message of inclusion, builds strong friendships

Photo Emily Smith

Gina Ciaramella looks for her teammates Nick Casapulla, Stefani Giegucz, Kaleigh Barker, and Alexis Sokoloff as she prepares to pass the ball in their final home game against Marlboro on November 17.

Farah Djunaedi, Staff Writer

The Unified Basketball team wrapped up their second successful season with a 2-2 record by bringing together players with various abilities to compete in a game they are all passionate about. The program involves students with and without intellectual disabilities. Together, the athletes with disabilities cooperate with student partners to practice for and compete in basketball games.

“[The team] brings a group of kids to work together towards a common goal,” co-coach Zbigniewa Giegucz said. “This program provides a platform for these kids, who might not be able to play basketball otherwise, an opportunity to be out there and do what everyone else does.”

The best part of Unified Basketball is seeing the excitement and emotions when any of the players make a shot.

— Senior and captain Owen Lyons

The Unified Basketball program, which started as a pilot program last year, has a total of 17 students this year, several of whom are on the girls’ and boys’ varsity basketball teams.

“It means a lot because there is a lot of positivity for the kids and they have a great time,” co-coach Ken MacDonald said. “It’s an activity for kids to form friendships and build confidence, teamwork, and sportsmanship.”

Although the students practice to compete against other schools, for many participants there is more to the program than just basketball. According to teammates, Unified Basketball is close to the heart.

“I play because I have a brother with a disability so I feel It’s right to take part,” senior and boys’ varsity basketball captain Owen Lyons said. “The best part of Unified Basketball is seeing the excitement and emotions when any of the players make a shot.”

With practices twice a week, the athletes and coaches have plenty of time throughout the season to bond and interact with each other.

“The best part of practices are putting defense on [special education aide] Mr. MacDonald,” post grad athlete Rachel Seymour said.

“I love scoring lots of points,” post grad teammate Alexis Sokoloff said. “The last game I scored almost scored 10 points.”

For the athletes, Unified Basketball is a rewarding and engaging activity they look forward to every day during the season. On game days, players get together for a pre-game snack and use that time to get pumped about the upcoming game.

“The day we have a game, the kids talk and play music,” Giegucz said. “They get really excited and into it. Then we play the game and they get to meet students from other schools just like them.”

“My favorite part of Unified Basketball is the teamwork and team spirit,” post grad team member Will Corwin said. “It’s great hanging out together.”