Community runs together for good of kids

A child from the community dressed up as Dr. Seuss’s Thing One skips across the track.

Shannon Youngberg, News Editor

The third annual 5k for the Kids raised funds and the spirits of participants to benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Metrowest on October 30.

The race was organized by business research students seniors Caroline Beek, Julia Labich, and Lexi Ufland.

According to Ufland, the proceeds will be used towards enhancing a homework program, which the Boys and Girls Club provides to hundreds of children.

“It was kind of cool to see that they were going to use our money for the power hour, which is basically an hour set aside each day for the kids to get the proper academic help that they need,” Ufland said.

Along with the 5k offered to all ages, there was also a one-mile candy run for participants 13 years and under. Beek, Labich, and Ufland aimed to recreate the success of previous years, but wanted to introduce a new experience for runners this time around.

“In the past it was a color a run, and we tried to replicate the color run, but in a different kind of way because it’s already been done before,” Ufland said.

According to Beek, there were many obstacles in preparing for the event, but the most difficult was encouraging students to sign up for the race.

“The most challenging aspect of the 5k was getting people to register,” Beek said. “We understood for high school students that $25 is a little high, but we wanted to allow the Boys and Girls Club to get as much proceeds as possible.”

Throughout the planning of the race, Beek, Labich, and Ufland grew to understand what works well when preparing for an event.

“I think all three of us learned patience and organization is just what you need in order to be successful,” Labich said.

Although there were some difficulties along the way, the race ended up raising over $3,000 with the involvement of around 100 participants.

“There are always going to be kinks for an event like that, but it was for fun and a good cause,” Beek said. “I’m really happy with the way everything turned out.”

The participants’ common goal to make a difference is what really made the event so successful.  

“Everyone really came together for this and it shows a lot about how caring and how generous the people from our community are,” senior Nick Casapulla said.