Faculty Friday: Ricardo Colon

Anna He, Staff Writer

How has being a teacher changed your views on high school?
“Let me start it with saying I taught in a junior high school in Long Island for the last 27 years. So when I started here in November last year, it was different having older kids that you can actually have a conversation with.”
Do you have any fall traditions?
“We go apple picking every year over at Tougas Farm in Northborough, and we usually go up north to see the foliage.”
What’s your favorite fall scent?
“My favorite fall scent is when I rake the leaves.”
If you could go back in time and give your high school self some advice what would it be?
“If I could give myself some advice, I would’ve said, ‘Don’t give up on your dreams as easily as you did.’ I went to college and ran cross country and track and field at the University of South Dakota. I got a scholarship. I ran two marathons, when I finished competing, I was out of shape. Completely out of shape. And I did [the marathons] as a bet. And I ended up running two hours and 36 minutes. And that was with a fifteen minute walk in there. That’s how out of shape I was. I think if I’d given it a chance, there would’ve been a great possibility that I could’ve been sponsored. At that time, the standard was 2:18, and I had a teammate who made the standard. That’s what I mean by don’t give up on yourself. Don’t give up on your dreams. That’s the one biggest ‘what if’. What if I’d given it a chance? But I’m happy the way my life turned out.”