Clown craze causes concern

Police want people to stop clowning around

Alex Martin, Staff Writer

Everyone’s favorite creepy character is back again this year for Halloween but not in a fun-loving way. Recent clowns have been sighted with weapons and intentions to hurt civilians in towns across the United States and Worcester County.

The clown frenzy started in late August in Greenville, South Carolina, where adults and children from an apartment complex reported clown sightings in the woods nearby. According to the citizens of Greenville, the clowns allegedly live in the woods and tried to lure local residents into their homes.

A few weeks later, clowns began making appearances in Alabama through social media because they were terrorizing children. Soon, reported clown sightings started appearing all over the United States, eventually making their way to Northborough and Southborough.

Earlier in October, Superintendent Christine Johnson emailed parents and faculty informing that a clown was allegedly seen on a school campus in Northborough, but it was a confirmed hoax.

Police officers are getting extremely frustrated with these hoaxes.

I have talked to other departments all over, including Marlborough, who have actually seen people dressed up as clowns at night.

— Algonquin Resource Officer Mike Bisset

“These fake tips are taking away from the serious problems in town,” Algonquin Resource Officer Mike Bisset said. “Believe it or not, Northborough has a lot of important things that go on that need our attention. The more fake tips we get about clowns, the more time that’s taken away from more crucial issues.”

Marlborough police officers have dealt with actual clowns that have terrorized residents.

“I have talked to other departments all over, including Marlborough, who have actually seen people dressed up as clowns at night,” Bisset said.

Colleges including The University of Connecticut, The University of Rhode Island, The University of New Hampshire, and Merrimack College have recently been on lockdown due to clowns apparently chasing students on campus, some with weapons.

While many are worried and scared, others are amused and want the hoax to continue.

“I think it’s aggressive and amusing at the same time,” sophomore Nick Hatton said. “I have been wanting to see one for a while; it would be an adrenaline rush.”     

Social media has started to play a larger role due to users sending in tips to a Twitter account, @LiveClownWatch. The account, once a tip was received, would then tweet the reported clown location, alerting followers. The majority of the tweets are fake and have caused issues at Massachusetts schools.

“We are currently tracking down the leader of the Twitter account and talking to them,” Bisset said.  “This is not a joke.”

Algonquin coaches were also directed by administration to instruct their teams not to dress as clowns for any spirit days.

“It’s all fun and games untill someone gets hurt,” senior Kayla Barletta said.