Relay for Life walkers support individuals affected by cancer

Submitted Jenna Jessup

Cancer survivors lap the track to stat Relay for Life in May 2015.

Johanna Casey, Staff Writer

The annual Relay For Life event will take place from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., with 27 teams participating, at the Algonquin track on Friday, May 13.

Relay For Life is a fundraiser for cancer research that happens all over the world. Members create or join teams and then raise money so that their team can meet its fundraising goals. On the night of the event, participants from each team will take turns walking around the track for twelve hours, with at least one member of each team on the track at all times.

“I think that the three words that follow Relay For Life are celebrate, remember, and fight back,” American Cancer Society staff partner Shannon Capozzola said. “We celebrate cancer survivors. We remember those we’ve lost. Throughout the event we’re fighting back against cancer.”

Twenty seven teams have registered so far, each with its own goal amount of money to raise for the event. Fundraising goes on throughout the school year, reaching its peak as the main event approaches.

“[At the moment] we’ve raised $15,925 altogether,” Capozzola said. “We’re doing really well this year.”

“Usually the month of the event, everyone fundraises really quickly,” leader of the Saving Smiles team, freshman Natalie Bourque said. “The usual amount [per team] is between $1,000 to $5,000.”

Fundraising often includes bake sales and yard sales, as well as donations from outside sources such as family members of participants. It usually takes place right up until the night of the main event, and raises a lot of awareness for the cause.

“We’re really thrilled with what our student team leaders have done this year; they’ve really built a lot of excitement for [the event],” science teacher and Relay For Life Club adviser Catherine Burchat said.

Proceeds raised by the teams go towards cancer research and care.

“Everyone’s[impacted by] cancer, and it’s a really good cause,” Relay For Life student leader and junior Julia Gittlen said.

“It’s not just the treatment; it’s all that stuff in between that people don’t really think about, but it can all add up quickly,” freshman Elissa Gorman, a member of Saving Smiles team, said.

Students and faculty enjoy the Relay For Life event every year.

“We’re working with really great student leaders this year and all the teams have done a really great job,” Burchat said.

“It’s a lot of fun, but it goes beyond that because it’s just a really meaningful thing,” Gittlen said. “It’s a great thing to do.”