Despite not taking gold at MICCA, musical groups enjoyed, learned from experience

Veronika Jaster, Staff Writer

Chorus, band, and orchestra students performed and gained musical experience at the Massachusetts Instrumental & Choral Conductors Association’s [MICCA] Concert and Choral Festival at Westborough and Foxborough High School on April 2 and 3.

At every festival, groups perform and are awarded a medal. This year was one of the few times when the groups didn’t win any gold medals; although the Concert Band, Symphonic Band, String Orchestra, Mixed Chorus won bronze, and the Wind Ensemble, Concert Choir, Camerata Singers and Chamber Choir were awarded silver.

Yet to Amy Collins, who is the Fine and Performing Arts department chair and conductor of the Wind Ensemble and String Orchestra, the medals are not the most important part.

“I try not to think about what I think we’ll get, because it is just a medal,” Collins said.

Instead, Collins concentrates on the clinics, which follow groups’ performances and provide constructive advice.

“You’re playing for people who are very critical, so you rise to the challenge and push yourself to do your absolute best,” Collins said.

A difference in this year’s MICCA was the location for choral groups.

“This is the first year when we haven’t hosted [the festival] in a long time,” music and chorus teacher Kathrine Waters teacher said. “There was less pressure.”

In addition to the new location, some students felt that there was a difference in this year’s critiques.

“The judging this year was a lot harsher,” junior Isabella Montuori said, who is a member of Camerata and Wind Ensemble.

Musicians spent hours at the festival, but only performed for a few minutes.

“I wish we’d be able to leave sooner, but I think it was worth it; it was a really good experience,” freshman Christopher Martin, a member of the Mixed Chorus and Symphonic Band, said.

Music teacher and conductor of the Symphonic and Concert Bands Eric Vincent values the experience.

“It’s unique in that you prepare, prepare and prepare, and it’s just a one-time thing, and it’s so in the moment,” Vincent said.

Listening to other groups was also helpful to the musicians.

“It’s really good to listen to groups that are better than you,” Martin said. “You get a good idea of what you want to strive for.”

Many participants agree that there’s a tension in performing as a team that’s different from performing at school concerts.

“It’s that element of preparing for somebody who isn’t automatically in love with them, like their parents, and who’s actually going to evaluate what they do as musicians,” Waters said.

Participants believe that MICCA highlights the strengths of the music department.

“[The festival] brings a tradition of excellence in the music department,” senior Ha Neul On said, who is the concertmaster of the String Orchestra.

“A lot of schools don’t have music departments, but here at Algonquin, we’re fortunate to have a very well-prepared music department with three great leaders,” Montuori said.

The MICCA Solo Ensemble Festival will take place in the beginning of May.