College decision day stressful, exciting for seniors

Seniors rang the bell in the CRC to show they had made their final decision about which college to attend this fall.

Photo Carey Davis

Allie Madigan, Staff Writer

The May 1 college decision date sparks various responses from high school seniors.

The college application process causes both panic and excitement among most high school seniors.

The competitive nature of the process stresses the majority of students, and often making a final decision can be the hardest part.

“Some kids have that dream school in mind, so they know that if they get into the school, no matter what [they] are going there,” guidance counselor Dave Breglio said.  “But for some kids who are still undecided about the process and are still in between a handful of schools, I’m guessing the pressure builds for them.”

For senior Gaby Kennedy, making the wrong decision constantly races through her mind.

“[May 1] seems really close and I haven’t decided yet,”  Kennedy said. “There are so many people committing right now, and I see it every day, so it stresses me out.”

Senior Kate Massucco was in a similar situation before committing to the University of South Carolina.

“I have kind of made a decision, but at the same time I wake up in the middle of the night in sweats because I’m worried I’m making the wrong decision or that something is going to be wrong when I get there,” Massucco said.  “I’m just so indecisive because it is such a huge change and I’ve never experienced anything like it.”

According to Breglio, the best thing for students in this situation is to attend admitted students days, retour the campus, and make a pros and cons list.  

Those students who have already made their decision see May 1 as a day where they can find out where their fellow classmates will continue their education.

Senior Ben Macchi, who will be attending Clemson University next fall, has been committed for several weeks.  

“[May 1] is the day that everybody knows where they are going to college,” Macchi said. “I love hearing about people going to college, so knowing where everybody is going is exciting.”

Senior Frances Palmer looks at May 1 in a similar way as Macchi, as she is already committed to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

“I’m excited to see where everybody is going,” Palmer said. “We’ve been waiting four years for this.”

While guidance counselor Jason Lessard believes college decision day should be sooner, he encourages students to think about the positives.

“Think about the schools that they have gotten into,” Lessard said.  “That’s something in and of itself.”