• May 26"Wegmans...the Musical" will debut on June 7.

• May 26Finals will begin on June 19.

• May 26Pops Night will take place on May 30 at 7pm.

The reality of virtual studying: Quizlet versus traditional notecards

Students use a variety of study methods. Some prefer traditional note cards like these, while others use technology, like Quizlet.

Permission Jimmie

Permission Jimmie

Julia Desautels, Staff Writer

Students and teachers may be benefiting from the convenience of online flashcard apps like Quizlet, but some say this new technology has cons.

Special Education Liaison Felicia Rutigliano believes that both Quizlet, a site where students can create or use previously generated flashcard sets, and traditional methods such as paper flashcards and note taking are beneficial to any student.

“I see a lot of values in Quizlet, but there will always be those students who work better with a paper and pen,” Rutigliano said. “It really depends on the learner,”

Although some students seem to work better with old fashioned approaches, Rutigliano recognizes Quizlet as a tool to help understand basic concepts.

“I see value in memorizing terms; I think Quizlet is a start for understanding and remembering,” Rutigliano said. “I do think that Quizlet is a great tool though, especially since you can have it play back to you so you are using your auditory learning sense, and that is very helpful to some students too.”

virtual studyingGraphic Kayla Morkert

Instructional Technology teacher Julie Doyle agrees that Quizlet has its benefits.

“You create them, and then you don’t ever lose them because they are always online and[you can]access them from anywhere,” Doyle said. “You can share them with other people and you can look at ones that other people have created to help you.”

Although sharing information with peers seems like a pro, it can come with consequences.

“You have to be what’s called a good curator of information. You have to test Quizlet’s validity and credibility,” Doyle said. ‘I think it is worth checking out the validity of them[the flashcards]”

Sophomore Chloe Sainsbury believes that Quizlet is not always the most accurate source regarding facts because any person has the ability to make public sets.

“A con to Quizlet is that it’s unreliable because you can’t trust others’ answers,” Sainsbury said. “You one hundred percent can’t trust that they’re right. You have to rely on your own [answers],”

Rutigliano thinks that Quizlet can be less interactive and have less of a connection to the brain than physically writing your own flashcards.

“Sometimes when we write something and we are seeing it at the same time, that forms a memory. You can actually say ‘Oh, I remember writing that’,” Rutigliano said.

“I do think hands down that there is a connection between seeing, physically writing it, and memorizing as opposed to typing,” Rutigliano said. “There is a connection between the tactile pieces of it, handwriting, and remembering.”

Doyle agrees, but is unsure of the legitimacy of this theory.

“They [educators] do say, for some people, that the physical action of taking notes helps you to remember it better,” Doyle said. “I haven’t heard of enough studies to prove that that happens all the time.”

Sophomore Claire Duffy praises Quizlet, and always prefers it over flashcards.

“Quizlet is great for me because I can’t even read my own handwriting,” Duffy said.

Overall, both classic flashcard and Quizlet methods are effective ways for students to study and retain information. Although some students prefer one over the other, it is the learning style of the student that makes the difference.

1 Comment

One Response to “The reality of virtual studying: Quizlet versus traditional notecards”

1. Dan Welty on January 25th, 2018 7:49 am

Quizlet is definitely a benefit to learning. As with flashcards there is a little known strategy to this in that it is better to do, say 5 flashcards in a row, and THEN review the answers. Studies have found this more beneficial than doing one flashcard and seeing the answer, then the next and seeing the answer, etc. Also, another thing students do is that when they “master” a flashcard, they take it out of the deck. Studies show that you should leave it in the deck and it helps mastery of all the concepts.

A lot of this work falls under the concept of retrieval practice. You can learn more about it here:

https://www.retrievalpractice.org

It is something my students practice about 2-3 times per unit and they are conveniently on CANVAS for future use (to prep for the midterm).

As for validity, I create Quizlets for each unit and embed them in CANVAS so they are reliable and easily accessed by students.

[Reply]

• The reality of virtual studying: Quizlet versus traditional notecards

Multimedia

What are School Resource Officers?

News

Giroux joyfully jumps into new position after Calnan’s switch to tech

News

Years of dedication, hard work lead Luippold to new position

News

Students recognized in literary contest

News

US History I becomes unleveled, skill-based

News

Shooting message causes investigation, increased police presence

News

Bring Your Own Device program to be implemented in fall

News

Team 1100 participates in Battlecry, places 17th of 60

News

Memorial Day assembly promotes remembrance, recognition of sacrifice

Multimedia

Annual Special Olympics joins Northborough, Southborough communities together