Sachem Coffeehouse wows crowd

Sophomore+Mia+Murray+leads+Ladies+First+in+their+acapella+performance+of+Chains+by+Nick+Jonas+during+the+first+act+of+the+November+19+Coffeehouse.%0ALadies+First+are+%28from+left%29+junior+Sumati+Rangaraj%2C+sophomore+Katie+Zieminski%2C++sophomore+Nicole+Dobberpuhl%2C+junior+Chloe+Bernier%2C+sophomore+Jen+Piekarz%2C+junior+Anna+Benatuil%2C+freshman+Stehanie+Kalinowski%2C+and+senior+Annie+May.+

Photo Kelly Slovin

Sophomore Mia Murray leads Ladies First in their acapella performance of “Chains” by Nick Jonas during the first act of the November 19 Coffeehouse. Ladies First are (from left) junior Sumati Rangaraj, sophomore Katie Zieminski, sophomore Nicole Dobberpuhl, junior Chloe Bernier, sophomore Jen Piekarz, junior Anna Benatuil, freshman Stehanie Kalinowski, and senior Annie May.

Caroline Elfland, Staff Writer

Sachem members opened the doors of the Small Performance Theater to spectators for an evening of relaxed entertainment and coffee on November 19.

Early performances included seniors Katie Dobberpuhl and Matt Burmeister tackling “Yellow” (Coldplay) as a duet.

“‘Yellow’ is one of the first songs we ever did together so we thought it would be appropriate to perform at our first Sachem Coffee House,” Dobberpuhl said.

Sophomore Mia Murray, also featured in the first act, sang “Concrete Wall” by Zee Avi to backing vocals that she and her father had previously recorded. Murray returned to the stage to lead acapella group, Ladies First, in “Chains” (Nick Jonas).

“There are always [nerves] right before but once I get on stage they all go away. [It is] nerve-racking sometimes because you’ve got to do the acapella group justice but it’s really fun because you feel like you’re a part of a group,” Murray said.

According to Murray, she has participated in the coffee house stage before and hopes to make a living out of music.

The second act featured other coffee house veterans such as Alex Cosentino, who said he experienced stage fright.

“I have major anxiety and when I’m in big crowds I freak out,” Cosentino said.

Sophomore Rowan Moreland believed the night’s standout performance came last, when

seniors Peter Burns, Michael Dutko, Mike McCormack and Hyun Shin performed “Master” by Metallica in their rock band (Hyun and the Guys).

“The best part was the audience erupting as soon as [Hyun and the Guys] started playing,” sophomore Rowan Moreland said.

According to Dutko, Hyun and the Guy’s song choice was based on their expectation of the audience.

“We thought a lot of people here would hate [the song choice],” Dutko said. “Metallica is sick, too.”

“When I looked up and I saw some girl saying ‘Master,’ I was like ‘that is awesome,’” McCormack said. “[It was the] best goddamn audience I’ve ever played for.”